uv on rena xp3

dvsgp6

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2006
have an xp3 and want to know how to attached a uv on a rena xp3

anybody have pictures if yes can you post them and also what kind of uv is good for a 180

brianp

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2007
Fremont, CA
12 Volt Man;1983001; said:
i would think that with the high flow rate of the XP3 your contact time is not going to be long enough..

but I'm not sure. generally, lower flows are better because it allows for greater exposure of each gallon of water to the UV light because it takes longer to pass through..
Well, it's true that exposure time is important, so I would purchase a uv unit which makes some attempt to offer a convoluted path. The XP3 states a flowrate or 350 gph and I can't remember if that's the pump flowrate or empty canister flowrate...doesn't matter, because you'll never achieve that with a canister containing media. 200-300 gph should be good for these uv units. Slower is ok too. Also, if you don't kill the organism on the first pass, you should at least damage it and then achieve final annihilation on the next pass.

dvsgp6

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2006
thanks guys, anybody have photos of this or can give me and idea sorry just new to the uv

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
The XP3 has a motor rated for 350 gph… the actual is about half of that…

I’ve been using UV lights for 5+ years and have gained a lot of experience with them while spawning Blue Dempseys which are known to be prone to parasitic disease… UV’s kill parasites…

I aim for 1W of UV power per 10 US gal of tank volume…
I aim for 10 gph per 1 W of UV power…

The simply converts to a 9W on a 90 gal at 90 gph…

I thin kit’s safe to say your XP3 actually functions at around 175 gph… which means it would work great pushing water through an 18W UV…

I use Magnum 350s (same sized motor) to push water through my 18W lights…

This is the only UV pic I have… it is a Magnum HOT (rated - 250 gph) and a Turbo Twist 18W…

That filter now pushes water through a 9W and a Mag 350 pushes water through the 18W…

FishGoneWild

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2007
32 Polypterus Way, Africa
dvsgp6;1983176; said:
thanks guys, anybody have photos of this or can give me and idea sorry just new to the uv
I heard someone was requesting for pics!:D Here you go Mang! I just got this setup for two weeks. I even added quick disconnect valves to make maintainance easy. Add a prefilter sponge to the intake if you want to slow down the flow even more.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store