Looks like it could be DIY, so how do I replicate this overflow kit?

skiptomyzoo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2007
San Diego, CA
I was thinking about just buying two of these kits, instead of the hassle, but the problem is my bulkheads are 1" & 1" 1/4 that came with the tank unlike the kit... plus I would like to save some money (main factor), as this screams DIY, as it looks to be just basic plumbing parts. I guess what I am asking for is a list of parts, as well as thier sizes, that I could take to lowes or home depot to get. Please bear with me, I'm new to this. Heres a pic
as well as a link http://www.bigalsonline.com/StoreCa...ssory_kit?&query=megaflow&queryType=0&offset= to know what I am looking at.
Thanks in advance,
Unannon
I'm sure I will have more questions when it comes to the sump later, but I'm taking it step by step for now. Thanks again.

chesterthehero

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
corona, ca
it looks like after a trip to homedepot and you would be set.. might need to let it sit overnight with some silicone to get it sealed up tight or whatever.. but it should be a pretty easy diy

terd ferguson

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2007
Concord, NC
The drain looks like a Durso standpipe. Check out this link and build your own. It should be less than $20 in supplies, all available at Lowes or Home Depot. It lists all the sizes and parts you'll need.

http://www.dursostandpipes.com/BuildYourOwn/tabid/54/Default.aspx

Also, I wouldn't have those lower inlets on the overflow box, if you were planning to copy that design. In the event of a power outlet or pump failure, water will continue to drain from your tank into your sump until it reaches the lowest inlet. That means water all over your floor.

Shoot me a PM if you need any help building the Durso standpipes. It is easy though. Another bonus is that they're super quiet. Good luck.

***EDITED TO ADD***
The link talks about gluing and teflon tape. I used slip fit PVC parts and didn't glue or tape anything.

skiptomyzoo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2007
San Diego, CA
terd ferguson;1987398; said:
Shoot me a PM if you need any help building the Durso standpipes. It is easy though. Another bonus is that they're super quiet. Good luck.
You are the man, my friend. This is exactly what I was looking for. I may pm you, but it won't be for a bit, as I'll be gone this entire weekend, so I can't even get to this project till after that.
Thanks so very much.

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
The lower inlets wont drain your tanks,those are the standard aga overflow boxes look at the diagram water still has to go over the top.

the durso standpipe is really easy to make,just need 2 9o deg elbows and some pvc.I used a bit of teflon tape to hold it together,instead of glue just in case I had to take it apart.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store