Update on crushed coral experiment...

bes2534

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
So its been two days since I introduced crushed coral to my 6 gallon tank in hopes of increasing my extremely acidic water. Still, my pH remains at or below 6.0.

Tuesday - Added a few tablespoons to a mesh filter bag and a pinch to my gravel substrate...no change in pH.

Wednesday - Added about 2 more tablespoons to the filter bag and another pinch to the gravel...no change in pH.

Today (about 6 a.m.) - Added about two more tablespoons to the filter bag and another pinch to the gravel, tested the water at 4 p.m....STILL NO CHANGE AT ALL!!?

I thought that the pH would have increased at least slightly after 3 days of crushed coral added to the tank? I even let a piece of crushed coral sit at the bottom of the test tube I use to test the pH, and with just one piece the test water was bright blue within 2 hours! Whats going on with my tank? And when will I begin to see results?? I ordered pricey guppies and they are expected to be delivered tomorrow. These guppies are used to 7.4 pH and mine is at or below 6.0. I don't want to shock them when adding them to the tank...and I don't want to shock the fish that are already in the tank by adding too much crushed coral...HELP!!!

miss__kp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
Australia
Hi,

What size is the crushed coral? Also, what are your water parameters at the moment? ph, nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, GH and KH if you have tested for them too.

What's your stocking levels in the tank currently?

nfored

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2008
Missouri
what ever you do don't use neutral regulator, that is the biggest rip off i have ever seen. it says it will make your ph 7. i have used up to double the dose on pure r/o water all at once, with no effect. I have even over a course of a week used double the amount inmy tank with no effect.

miss__kp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
Australia
Crushed coral eventually raises the ph however it does take time for it to breakdown, it as the dual effect of buffering and raising.

I completely agree with neutral regulator, I've also not had much luck with acid buffers, theoretically with our soft water they should work, but they don't.

The only buffer of any sort I'd suggest is Sera KH/PH + It seems to actually do as advertised. 60ml raises the ph of my water from 6.8 (tap) to a consistent 7.0. With the addition of coral gravel it seems to stay there.

Rawimpact

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2008
Buena Park, CA
drop of base :-D, do fishs do well with milk?

cichlid2006

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
Fife - Scotland
i heard about using bicarb of soda for raising ph. mix it in a bucket first and slowly add it over a course of a week to raise the ph gradually so as not to shock the fish.
dont do it yet though wait for the others to chime in and say yes or no. like i said i just heard about this and i have no idea if its good or not.

can anyone verify if this is good or bad for this guys situation.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store