Cyrtocara Moorii with Prolapsed Anus

jester_fu

Feeder Fish
Feb 3, 2006
Australia
Hi Everyone, it's my first post here, so please be gentle :D

I'm in Australia, NSW. Please keep this in mind if you suggest meds.

Fish and Tank:
I have a Cyrtocara Moorii who is about 7" in size. He's about 3 years old, and has been living with 2 * 12" Oscars. The tank they are in get's twice weekly water changes and gravel vacuums of 25%. It is very well filtered (Fluval 304 and a 2000L/Hr powerhead set-up i built). The tank parameter's are constantly - 0 Ammonia, < 0.1ppm Nitrite, <10ppm Nitrate, pH = 6.8 - 7.2. I know the pH is slightly low for a moorii, but he's been in there for years at that range and never had an issue. The usual tank is kept heated at 25Degrees C.

Symptoms:
About 5 days ago, i noticed a pink protrusion from his anus. Initially, i though it may just be poo as the fish were fed Hikari Gold that night. The next day the pink was still there, and that is when i took Flipper (my Moorii) to the vet. The vet initially thought it was a tumour and set up surgery the next day. Once he had a better chance o see the fish, he concluded it was a prolapsed anus. The prolapse is now about 6mm long, and Flipper is showing signs of early Malawi Bloat.

I've done a bit of reading on this now, and it seems this is most likely caused by improper diet and to large feedings. This kind of makes sense, as in the last month, my Moorii has moved from eating the Oscar scraps to 'stealing' pellets from the Oscars. I regularly feed all of the fish in that tank Pea's, but the Oscars are particularly fond of Pea's and it's hard for the Moorii to get any.

Current Treatment:
The fish is isolated in a 50L plastic tub with a lid. The water is heavily aerated, and i have a HOB filter for this "hospital tank" that is currently not in use (reasons explained below). There is a fine sand substrate in this tank, white in colour, and only about 6mm deep. I have put Flipper favourite driftwood hiding place in this tank with him. The hospital tank is heated to 27degrees Celsius. i have been treating water changes with Prime and New Improved Cycle, as per every water change i do in my tanks.

I have been using Melafix and Tertracycline Hydrochloride for the past day. Prior to that, i had been using Melafix alone in small doses as the fish had no symptoms other than his prolapse. Today, i am doing a 50% water change and re-dosing with enough Tertracycline to treat the fresh water only. Prior to the Tertacycline, the tank had the HOB connected and was receiving 20% daily water changes.

Questions:
I have so far been unable to get Clout, Maracyn or Metronidazole (Flagyl). I have asked my vet for Flagyl, but he is unwilling/unable to give it to me. I understand it is in limited/restricted supply in Aus, so this may be why. Can anyone suggest to me an alternative to these med's that’s just as effective?

The Tetracycline is meant to be a gram positive and negative bacteria treatment. I understand Malawi bloat is possibly protozoa and gram negative based. Does anyone have some experience or comments on the effectiveness of Tertacycline on Malawi bloat?

Thanks in advance for any help and sorry for the long first post. I really love this fish, he's spectacular when healthy and has a great personality. It's also quite rare around me to get a Moorii this size, so he's not easily replaced... beside my attachment to him.

fishnutham

Needs More Room!
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Brantford,Ont,canada
find some ultra cure px made by gel tek order it online it will get across the border i'm sure or maybe it can be had at your lfs contains praziquantel,fluenol,and metronidazole should help clear up any internal bacteria and parasites try
www.bigalsonline

jester_fu

Feeder Fish
Feb 3, 2006
Australia
Hi Fishnutham, thanks for the suggestion. I can not find a local supplier of Ultra Cure PX. I suspect it is therefore unlikely to get it into the country. I regularly do internation freight with work, and i know customs check documentation on incomming goods to ensre they comply with local drug regualtions.

It appears that i can get Protozin - which is said to target protozoa. I will look into this some more.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Hello and welcome jester, sorry to hear about your fish.
It really sounds like you are doing all you can. Bloat can have a couple causes but can be triggered in some cases by a partial bowel obstruction, possobly the prolapse. I have had only one fish, a yellow perch that got a prolapsed anus, it was quite a while ago and as I had never seen this before I was a bit freaked out. the fish was only 20 cm. long and the prolapse was about 15 millimeters, it resulted from converting the greedy bugger to dry pellets. I dosed the water with stress coat and salt then (wearing surgical gloves) gently pressed the exposed tissue back through the vent, suprisingly it stayed and with the help of a diet of green peas and small earth worms the perch recovered.

fishnutham

Needs More Room!
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Brantford,Ont,canada
that sounds like sound advice had to do it to a cat once and it also worked never thought about trying it on a fish but then again i've been lucky with healthy fish i keep rubbing my buddah everyday..

jester_fu

Feeder Fish
Feb 3, 2006
Australia
Thanks for the suggestion. I got the Protozin yesterday, and also found a local source of Metro. The Tertacycline seems to have been working, as Flipper is out swimming around today, with his equilibrium and balance restored. The prolapse is slightly less inflammed and the swelling has reduced slightly. I'm going to swap him to the Protozin in 2 days, as i think this may better target Protozoa that may be part of his condition.

I'm not sure i have the stomache to push his anus back in. I've read a few other notes on the web suggesting this will work with fish, though. Thanks for letting me know it does work. On the bright side, the supplier i can get the Metro off also recommended a local fish expert vet. So, i'm going to ring him tomorrow and maybe he'll be able to help return the prolapse.

Thanks again for your help, guys!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store