how do i start my hang on the back of tank overflow

skillzizzo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2007
Mesa - Arizona
Hey guy's i know it's a dumn quiestion and probaully has been asked a billion times. I have a 10 gallon or so wet dry i bought of some one on here on mfk. And i have never owned one and can seem to figure out how to start the siphon to get the hang on the back style over flow to bring water to my sump. First i just filled the sump with water and mad sure the hang on over flow was level and mad sure my tank was just full to the top.

But the water does not flow over the top into the over. It over flow's my tank instead and just drains all over the water out of my sump. I know this quiestion has been asked before i'm sure. ANd is such a dumn quiestion.

But if you could either copy paste a previous discussion for me over explain to me how to get the siphon going i would really appreciate it. Thanks for you'r time in advance.

SIncerely

JEffrey allen Braley

Bawb2u

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2005
MA
Take a piece of airline or similar tubing and snake it up the U tube to the highest point. Make sure both ends of the U tube are under water and do a quick suck on the airline tube to pull the excess air out of the U tube . That should get your siphon flowing and then pull the airline tubing out.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
Bawb2u;1986572; said:
Take a piece of airline or similar tubing and snake it up the U tube to the highest point. Make sure both ends of the U tube are under water and do a quick suck on the airline tube to pull the excess air out of the U tube . That should get your siphon flowing and then pull the airline tubing out.
This is correct unless it's a DIY or CPR style. For those you can suck air out of a check valve in the highest point.

No matter what style, you have to get all of the air out. If it's the type with the tubes make sure both ends of the tube are under water or you wont be able to get the air out.

skillzizzo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2007
Mesa - Arizona
thanks for the input is this why there is a check valve on top of the hang on over flow. Do you just hitch a piece of air line tubing to that and then suck that piece of tube to start the siphone. I was curious why there was a check valve or airline valve on top of it. And not it is no a do it you'r self over flow. thanks again for you'r time.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey allen Braley

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store