Safe Rocks?

Edwin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2007
Whittier,Ca
as long they are properly cleaned, any kind of rock is good.

cr8on

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2007
Actually, not all rocks are safe for aquarium use. Any rock containing heavy metals can leach into the water and can be harmful to fish. Rocks such as limestone will raise the pH and hardness of the water, which is good for african cichlids but not good for fish like discus and tetras that require low pH and hardness. Some rocks that are safe are sandstone and slate.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
what kind of rocks you looking to use??? type of field stone??? river rocks? lava rock? sand stone? limestone?? slate?? be a lil more specific... lots of nice field stones come from kentucy and they are safe to use....

wjones1970

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2008
KY
I was thinking of the field stone or getting some out a nearby creek. Some of the rocks I'm just not sure what type they are? Just wanted to be cautious about putting them in my tank.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
i posted this yesterday in another thread. read the part about testing the rocks....

i would be cautious using anything man-made. better go with natural stone. even natural stone you need to be careful since it can alter your ph like hawk said.

here's a good test:

Here's a better idea: if you have a nitrate test kit, you may also already have a better test than vinegar for lime content in rocks. My Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Nitrate Test contains two bottles of prepared solutions. Solution #1, labeled "Caution: contains hydrochloric acid," comes in a handy squeeze dropper bottle. If a drop or two on a candidate rock fizzes, or even bubbles, that rock would raise the pH in the aquarium

wjones1970

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2008
KY
Thanks I did not know that you could test a rock like that. I also have the test kit already so I just need to find some rocks now.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
wjones1970;1988728;1988728 said:
Thanks I did not know that you could test a rock like that. I also have the test kit already so I just need to find some rocks now.
yeah i just learned that recently too after buying some rock for my planted tank. some folks on another forum told me about this quick and easy test. just take your bottle with you when you go rock hunting! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store