My new tank (first real MONSTER)

koop171

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2008
ohio
If you have ever been to Aquarium Adventure in columbus ohio you have seen my new tank. I am buying a 585gal. GLASS tank! It was used as a salt tank But I will be changing it to fresh. It has odd dimensions. it is like a 150 degree angle. 6' on one side and 5' on the other. with 30" deep and something like 36" wide. I am getting EVERYTHING for this tank. the tank stand and filters. (and yes this is a drilled tank). I will have some pics of it soon I hope but with my computer not working and me using my PS3 to sure the web idk if I will be able to post the pics.

I do not know what I what to stock this thing with yet all I know is that I will be needing to update the filtration system. I hope to have this thing up and running by september.

I know its glass and I was allready told that it weighs about 800lbs. but i don't care I prefer glass. and it has to go in my basement b/c it has the only door bigenough to fit it through.

If anyone has any good stocking ideas let me know. It will be a empty tank no decor no sub. And for those who just want to say aros and rays. I allready thought of that. lol

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Nice score!!! Waiting to see the pics when your computer is up.

snakeheader

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2008
ohio
wow sounds great,cant wait for the pics

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Awesome man!! Sounds like that will be wicked fun for you!! Where you going to put it though?! Thats a lot of water! Go SA community!! That would be tight!

koop171

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2008
ohio
Peanut_Power;1989713; said:
Awesome man!! Sounds like that will be wicked fun for you!! Where you going to put it though?! Thats a lot of water! Go SA community!! That would be tight!
B/c it is soo damn big I acctually have to put in in the basement (half my basement is a garage so I have a garage door to put it in.) So thats no big deal. Idk if I want to go cichilds b/c sooner or later my parents are going to set up a 150 for them and I am the one whos going to have to at leats put it together for them so I will end up with cichlids indirectly. I was going to do at least one lung fish but after doing some homework. I found that that's not going to work out. Then trying to cohad some rhoms was an idea but I don't want to "waste" that much water on Ps when I allready got a 125 full of RBPs. I do however have a lfs that currently has a albino clown knife. So maybe that would be a good start i'm not sure yet. I want to go with something odd or at least something that you don't allways see. that's why the lung was a good idea at the time. I could get a hystirix (sp) pleco and try to beat oddballs record of the 3' pleco. lol

Or I could just go with a million little fish like neons lol NOT.

I think the big thing right now is to get the filters up to par so I think ill be in the market for a CHEEP bigger tank to convert into a sump. The nice thing is though that I can set this thing up as soon as I get it but the sump is only like 30 gal. or something really really to small for a tank this large. that's why I am going to need to be setting up a new sump. And thats why it is going to take so long to get set up.

I guess i'm still up for suggestions on the stocking but I got some time to decide. the only thing that is set in stone is that I am not going to grow whatever goes in this tank out all the way I plan on buying sub adults. SO I can get the water space used up .

Jfitz

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Montreal
koop171;1989735; said:
Or I could just go with a million little fish like neons lol NOT.
lol if u did that you would have to take MONSTER out of your name lol...
damn i was saving up for 100 Gal. and i thought that was big, probably looks like a lil guppy tank compared to this thing.
Don't know if youre into this kinda thing but you should get a huge school of piranhas:headbang2

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Seriously man, do a SA/CA cichlid community. In a tank that large, you could have all sorts of fish in there, tetras, plecos, headstanders, arowana, it could be super active.

In a tank that size too, it might just work. I've seen some pretty tight setups where there are predators and prey together, and it just looks awesome!!!!!

A HUGE pack of clown loaches would be cool. Giant Gourami, Dorado, you gotta try some of the larger cats. You've got tons of options!!

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
Go for a rubbermade stock tub for a DIY filter:)

koop171

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2008
ohio
Peanut_Power;1989762; said:
Seriously man, do a SA/CA cichlid community. In a tank that large, you could have all sorts of fish in there, tetras, plecos, headstanders, arowana, it could be super active.

In a tank that size too, it might just work. I've seen some pretty tight setups where there are predators and prey together, and it just looks awesome!!!!!

A HUGE pack of clown loaches would be cool. Giant Gourami, Dorado, you gotta try some of the larger cats. You've got tons of options!!

You got a good idea. I ll deffinitly put thought into it. but I relly really would like to stay with a clean bottom. (ease of cleaning and cost of sub.)
And rally Ill have to take that stock tank into consideration it would be much cheeper and depending on the size I could allways leave it out in the pen and have tons of room in the stand for stuff.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store