Del Rey Wet/dry system- Worth It?

Heyitsduy42

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
SoCal 818 / OC 949
I was curious if you guys are familiar with these wet/dry system. Im looking at the Del Rey 125. The dimension of the filter is 24"Lx8"Wx14"H. It suppose to be good enough for a 125G. Its going to be running on my 50G. Is this sump too small to run efficient? Is this wet/dry good? Ill be pairing this up with a rio 2100. I think it pushes 700GPH. I know I can make my own but for $50 with a overflow i think its worth it if it does the job. Thanks in advance.

BushFishRox

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Mississauga, Ont Canada
that seems really small to me, not a lot of room for bio media i would think and pouring 700gph through it might be too much for it...

it should be ok for a 50gal but I dont think so for a 125, also I would recommend going with a slower pump, say max 400gph.

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
I have no personal experience with them. Looked at their web site they seemed fine, it will do the job. You'll hear a lot from the DIY guys on this forum and they have a lot of excellent points. However if it's your first w/d a kit is the way to go..I couldn't find the capacity for the bio balls? 700gph? Rio 2100 at 0' head maybe? you get to 4' of tubing and it will drop by 1/2 at 3/4ID.

I'd think about another pump if you really want to achieve 700 gph at the tank...What type of fish and how many do you have in your 50?

Heyitsduy42

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
SoCal 818 / OC 949
So I went out and bought this system last night and got it running. Its has 4.5G for bio balls, just not a lot of water capacity. I think my diy w&d will blow this del rey away but like I said, for $50 you cant really beat that. It cames with an overflow, about 5G of bio balls, pump and everything to get it running. The RIO 2100 is rated at 692GPH, so with 3' hose, Ill be happy with 500GPH. I think that's plenty for a 50G tank. I also have 2 sponge filter running. The tank is currently housing (5) 6" datnoids and 3 baby bichirs.

BushFishrod - YOu are correct! The pump was pushing more water than the overflow can take. I had to add an extra u tube to make it balance out. Good thing the overflow box was large enough..

Here's some pic I snapped real quick of the sump..Ill post some pics of the dats in the Datnoid sections if you guys want to see how they look like. Thanks for all inputs..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store