Need help with Fluidized bed filter setup.

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
I'm planning to add a fluidized bed filter to my wife's goldfish tank.
its 75 gallon and quite overstocked, it has 12 pcs 2-3 inch goldfish.
water change is performed weekly 50%

the current filtration is a 4 feet overhead filter f ull of ceramic rings. matala mat and biohome plus.
but it seems the filtration cannot handle the bio load? planning to add a fbf
, my problem is i don't have a sump tank to place the fbf in.
also whats is the flowrate i would need for the fluidized bed? how about pre filtration to trap the dirt before going into the fbf?

can you guys please post your setup?

thanks.

justin guest

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2008
Australia
The question is whether you have specific problems with ammonia and nitrites or with dissolved solids (water looks dirty). If the problem is dissolved solids then a fluidised bed filter may not be your best option. In that case i would recommend a mechanical/biological filter that you could hang on the edge of the tank or see if you can improve the fine mechanical filtration of your current filter. Better still would be to upsize your canister filter. If the problem is ammonia/nitrites then the fluidised bed filter would be a good addition to your current filter. There are also brands available that you can hang on the side of your tank but you´ll need to install a powerhead (approx. 100 gal/hr) inside the tank to run it. One thing though, if you are having problems with ammonia/nitrites then the question is whether something else isn´t quite right with the tank. Points of interest would be whether you constantly have high ammonia/nitrite levels or whether they change constantly, and how much and how often you feed the fish. Once we know more about what exactly the problem is i´m sure you´ll get more than enough recommendations as to the best way to improve your filtration system
j<><

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store