help! porcupine puffer and lionfish riot!

woodyoz

Candiru
MFK Member
after a week together in peace they are suddenly fighting,and fighting bad....the lion fish allready has a few broken tentacles and the porcupine puffer is smashing into the walls..!
i knw i need to seperate them,a simple solution...but why are they fighting?
they are properly fed with both live food and dead...and there is always a minnow or two spare in their tank

ReeceTheBeast

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2008
England
Maybe they are getting to be the dominate one so what you got do is maybe let them for few times until they calm.

My snakeheads do it all time

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
not really the best mix of fish. Puffers tend to nip at the lionfish. Same with triggers and lions. cant say for sure thats what it is but I'm thinking its good chance

AW2EOD

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2007
The East Side
First things first...

What size tank are they in, how big are they, what's the filtration like and what are they being fed?

As sweeTang21 said...Puffers and Lions don't mix. Sometimes, you can get away with a Porcupine Puffer, but most of the time, it's not gonna happen.

woodyoz

Candiru
MFK Member
55 gallon tank....they feed on both flakes and feeders [minnow and weather loaches]
both are of the same size...around 10 cms
here are some pics..

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
woodyoz;1990468; said:
i knw i need to seperate them,a simple solution...but why are they fighting?
because all of the books, internet resources, and good advice told you not to combine them, but you did it anyways..

That is why.

woodyoz

Candiru
MFK Member
Miles;1992854; said:
because all of the books, internet resources, and good advice told you not to combine them, but you did it anyways..

That is why.

ohh you...you !! ur soo funny ha ha

*sarcastic*

AW2EOD

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2007
The East Side
That tank just screams "FAILURE"!

Your substrate is probably holding in elevated nitrates, the tank is too small, the fish are not healthy (look at their eyes)...both fish have cloudy eyes, the Lion in particular.

You're feeding is inappropriate...Porc Puffers don't even really eat fish...they're invert eaters.

woodyoz

Candiru
MFK Member
AW2EOD;1992946; said:
That tank just screams "FAILURE"!

Your substrate is probably holding in elevated nitrates, the tank is too small, the fish are not healthy (look at their eyes)...both fish have cloudy eyes, the Lion in particular.

You're feeding is inappropriate...Porc Puffers don't even really eat fish...they're invert eaters.
arite mate....im soo broke rite now... i'll have to wait for next week to get another tank...
guess the porcupine puffer babies are going into a bucket and the dad is going into their tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store