What's the deal with this?

qwesty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2008
Wisconsin
Maxi-jets are awesome!!! them and the seio's are all I've been using for the last 5 years in all my tanks.

For that price I would buy them fast.........before I do lol

Fry

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2005
New York
I also have very positive experiences with Maxi-Jets. I have only 2 problems with them:

1. The Maxi-Jet 400's venturi will not function if the pump is a little deep in the water, this is probably due to it's low power/flow. I do see it as a design flaw.

2. The Maxi-Jet 1200 uses waaaay too much power (20W) for it's 295 GPH - it wastes electricity and heats the water. The best balance would be the Maxi-Jet 900 at 230 GPH for 8.5W.

Other than these 2 things, I love these powerheads. They are very durable, reliable, relatively quiet, and comes with all the accessories that you can expect.

pcfriedrich

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
North Central Florida

qwesty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2008
Wisconsin
Yeah they do make a sponge attachment. Its been so long since I've bought a new one, but I'm pretty sure it actually comes with the filter

pcfriedrich

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
North Central Florida
yeah. it says on the product discription (that I was too lazy to read) that it has a foam intake grid.

you think 230 gph is too much flow for a 55?

Fry

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2005
New York
That's the one.

230 will be fine for a 55 as long as your fish can take it.

These are much better than the aquaclears, my aquaclear kicked the bucket in a year.

One of the attachments let you connect these to actual sponge filters, I've done it with the ATI Lustar Hydro-Sponge 2 - these are stackable so you can use 2 of them with 1 powerhead on your 55.

pcfriedrich

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
North Central Florida
whats the deal with the 360 rotating flow deflector that they recomend you buy with this powerhead? is that thing desirable/necessary?

I'm assuming my fish can take the current created by 230 gph. I have a RD, O and a few cons.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Personally I do not like these powerheads. They are ineffective, and use a ton of energy. Look at a Hydor Koralia 1 pump. These will get you much more flow, for way less energy, and they don't clog ever. They cost more, but in the long run, they are worth the cost.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store