lighting help

sapir

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2008
Las Vegas
any help would be great im absolutely clueless on this subject :cry:
ok so i have a 48 in jbj aquatic light i bought used it has 4 panasonic bulbs in it but only one works i want to replace them so i was wondering what you guys would recommend brand ,wattage, price, best place to purchase etc.

thanks guys

sapir

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2008
Las Vegas
80 gallon with fake plants, yes i would like lights that are able to grow plants because im thinking of planting my tank in the future. also will lights that imitate sunlight help enhance the color of my piranhas?

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
watts would be what ever the bulbs are your replacing....and 6700K rated bulbs for plants.....

pussyfishhunter

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 19, 2008
canada
i personally find lighting overpriced from petstores. imho i would look @ t8 fixtures @ homedepot. around 30 bucks (in canada)for a 2 lamp 4 foot t8 fixture. a variety of bulbs are available to suit different needs including plant and aquarium. they glow pink and give off a decent spectrum. with minor knowledge of electrical you can wire and hang this yourself and save a few bucks. all depends on your tanks lid.
goood luck

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
sapir;1992413; said:
i have a petco gift card do you think petco has exactly what i need or should i look else where?
shop online you will get them cheaper.... that is your best bet... my buddy got all his bulbs off ebay....

pussyfishhunter;1992458; said:
i personally find lighting overpriced from petstores. imho i would look @ t8 fixtures @ homedepot. around 30 bucks (in canada)for a 2 lamp 4 foot t8 fixture. a variety of bulbs are available to suit different needs including plant and aquarium. they glow pink and give off a decent spectrum. with minor knowledge of electrical you can wire and hang this yourself and save a few bucks. all depends on your tanks lid.
goood luck
read the post again buddy he has the light fixture just needs some bulbs...;)

sapir

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2008
Las Vegas
thanks for all the help :D i love this site
any brands i should be looking at? also it has 4 small bulbs that are 50watts each can i get 2 long bulbs instead? :confused:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store