Opinions needed on pump setup

mwilson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2008
maryland
I currently have a 220 gal. I'm making a home made wetdry out of plastic drawers i picked up at walmart. I've made 2 overflows out of 1"pvc. I'm going to be stocking this tank with some large SA cichlids. How much water flow do I need to have? I've heard many diff things from 3 to 10 turnovers. I've heard the Magdrive pumps have good value. I was looking at the Mag 18 and the Mag 24. Any opinions?

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Turnover is dependent on who you talk to. I usually run 8-10x turnover in large or carnivorous fish tanks. Mag drives are very nice. You might look at the new High drive mag drives.

js302

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2005
England
ive got 2 ocean runner 2500s on my 220.

works great - i think it comes out to about 6 or 7 turnover an hour.

i think the best thing to do is aim for the middle of what u hear (maybe a little more) and test ur water. if u can get 0 amm 0 nitrite at 3 turns an hour then great, especially as its wet/dry, i don't think u want turnover to be too fast anyway.

although ur talking about messy feeders so maybe make sure mechanical filtration is good!

I'd spend more time thinking about lots of high surface area media.

good luck.

frnchjeep

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2006
Ct
I run 9x turnover on my 220 with sa/ca's. I have a pondmaster pump with a homemade sump.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
i have a high drive 4000 on my 180. i have it split back into the sump with a ball valve so i can control how much flow i want. plus it keeps the sump stirred.

i would look into the pondmaster high drives, they are very energy efficient.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store