confirm ID on pleco??

Edwin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2007
Whittier,Ca
okay i was told several times what type of pleco i have.i always said a L114 leopard pleco. the guy i received the pleco from said its a leopard pelco ( L114) but just found out he is not. i did some research but looks almost to a L172 Gold Heterodon Pleco. heres a comparison between all three. plz help me cuz its bugging me and i wont be comfortable until i know what i got.

here is my "leopard" Pleco

here a leopard L114 pleco

heres a L172 Gold Heterodon Pleco

tell me what do you think my pleco looks closer to or tell me what my pleco really is if its something completely different.

p.s: got pics from exoticfinds.net. besides my pleco (1st pic )

Edwin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2007
Whittier,Ca
also what i noticed about my pleco and the ones in the pics, mine doesnt have the fuzzy hair like skin. thats another reason im all confused about.

snakeheader

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2008
ohio
looks to be l114 but his tail fin looks different looks a bit stressed does he have any caves or suff to hide in

Edwin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2007
Whittier,Ca
that pic was when i just barely got him. now he has a big driftwood to claim. he has the same spots but pitch black. really nice spots. i will see to get a better shot

Freakdaddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
Freakdaddy;1993194; said:
When Armbruster described it as Peckoltia, he said placing it in this genus was arbitrary as it was neither similar to Peckoltia nor Heminancistrus.

Color pattern of P. sabaji (Fig. 2) is neither like that of typical Peckoltia (typically dark saddles on a light background) or that of typical Hemiancistrus (gray with dark or light spots), and the narrow, elongate body morphology is unlike that of any other member of the Ancistrini. Based on a preliminary examination of osteology, P. sabaji may belong in its own genus; however, the state of the taxonomy of the basal Ancistrini is so confused at this moment that there is no justification for describing another genus. The color pattern of P. sabaji is more like that of Peckoltia than of Hemiancistrus. It must be noted that much work needs to be done to reconcile all of the species of Peckoltia and Hemiancistrus and to diagnose each genus. Further discussion of the osteology and relationships of P. sabaji awaits completion of a revision of Peckoltia, Hemiancistrus, and similar-looking genera.
And that is why on planetcatfish is states it as Peckoltia.

Also L172 is some Ancistrini species. For some reason L. heterodon is sometimes referred to as L172a. They are also one of my fav. Leporacanthicus, I have a group currently.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store