Whats wrong with my tank?????

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
Set up my 300 last Sunday with cycled bio balls and ceramic rings.
On Saturday morn I added a 7" goldfish and Saturday afternoon was given a 8" Tin Foil Barb.
Around 1pm today I noticed my Goldfish was dying and finally was floating dead. I threw him into a 30gl tub with tap water and after about 2 min he started breathing and then swimming. I got freaked and did a 40% water change in the 300 and right when I was done I noticed the barb acting weird. He started floating finally and I threw him in with the goldfish, except he never made it. I took my water to be tested and everything is 100% fine. During the week before I had anyfish, I never had any amonia spikes or Ph to high, nitrite... everything has been good from jump. I did notice that the water in the 300 is a baby blue (before and after water change) and dont know if this is one reason why? WTF is wrong in my tank??? When I brought it out of storage, I cleaned it real good with a new soft sponge (cleaned it real good with NO soap of any kind) and went to town in the tank finally let my tank sit set up with no water for 24hrs (just incase...).
So glad I didnt put my Goliath in there:headbang2

Can anyone help with what might have or is happening in the tank. Im ganna start from scrath again, except wash out my media and toss it in a 50gl tub with water so it dont dry out.

WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!:D

idle0095

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2007
Manchester, NH
tank is not cycled. takes weeks to cycle a tank and reading done before the tank is cycled will not be good test

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
idle0095;1994790; said:
tank is not cycled. takes weeks to cycle a tank and reading done before the tank is cycled will not be good test
I had a previous thread and was told in a week cause of the load of bioballs I had cycled and ceramic rings.
Was also told to add fish but waited instead of rushing into adding stuff

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
West1;1994803; said:
I had a previous thread and was told in a week cause of the load of bioballs I had cycled and ceramic rings.
Was also told to add fish but waited instead of rushing into adding stuff
Here is what my water looked like...a shade of blue??? Never had my water look like this even when I had my 300 set up before. I also have carbon in my sump

Lfs told me I had over oxyginated my tank...wtf does that mean... I had no water:ROFL:??. I have a pump from in my sump and it pumps pretty good (suppos 4750gph). It makes a 2.5-3' spray of air bubbles (in the pic) and I dont think that even had the slightes impact on the tank. I took the pics with the fish in it on Saturday afternoon after acclimation of the Barb

feed back pls

PIC-0291.jpg

PIC-0289.jpg

PIC-0290.jpg

stevietennis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Did you have any ammonia in the tank at all? If you are cycling a tank there should be a good amount of ammonia in the tank either from pure ammonia (fishless cycle) or fishes (cycling w/ fishes). When cycling there should be an ammonia spike, nitrite spike, and nitrate should go up also. Chances are you tank wasn't fully cycled. If you really think it was cycled maybe something else was off. Was your pH fine? Did you have enough oxygen in the water? air pump? water agitation?

bigspizz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
Sounds like you had a mass BB die off... The two fish you had in were not enough to keep the established media alive. LFS tests fail...Test your own tanks and know what is what. When I have a problem with a tank, I remedy it. There is no magic going on, just some science.

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
stevietennis;1996062; said:
Did you have any ammonia in the tank at all? If you are cycling a tank there should be a good amount of ammonia in the tank either from pure ammonia (fishless cycle) or fishes (cycling w/ fishes). When cycling there should be an ammonia spike, nitrite spike, and nitrate should go up also. Chances are you tank wasn't fully cycled. If you really think it was cycled maybe something else was off. Was your pH fine? Did you have enough oxygen in the water? air pump? water agitation?
I dont recall having any amonia from jump?
My PH was fine and at 8.2 stable all the way

So how do I know if it is fully cycled (I guess I dont know as much as I thought I did:D)?

bigspizz;1996071; said:
Sounds like you had a mass BB die off... The two fish you had in were not enough to keep the established media alive. LFS tests fail...Test your own tanks and know what is what. When I have a problem with a tank, I remedy it. There is no magic going on, just some science.
I used the Lfs as a back up from my tests (my mind was running so fast for a split sec I thought since I have not used my test kits for a few months what if my stuff went bad and was not giving me a true reading:screwy::screwy::screwy:. Like I said... my mind was racing so fast and I got freaked
out:D). So im ganna let my tank sit for 2 days and let it dry off (just incase it was something else...) and when run it again.

So what am I looking for to know my water is good?
PH/Amonia/Nitrite spikes?? Are those good signs of my tank getting established?

Also... what do I do to keep the BB alive? I thought using feeders was a plus

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
stevietennis;1996062; said:
Did you have enough oxygen in the water? air pump?
In the pic u can see that my pump was pushing some pretty good amount of water as it broke the surface of the water. Is this not oxygen in the tank??? Or am I missing something?
No air pump as the actual Pump caused massive air in the tank. You could see lil air bubles in the tank anywhere you looked. And the water had a perfect amount of water moving in the tank... not to hard and not to soft:naughty:.

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
Miles;1996296; said:
Dechlorinator?
I use prime. I dose about ten gallons more than the water used for my tank.

300gl tank + 50gl sump = 350glns that the fish use. So I did 7 1/2 caps of Prime (1 cap full is 50U.S gallons). So I did a hair over the water volume I am using (if Im not mistaken I can dose up to 5X's the amount but not trying to get close to that:D)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store