Not open for further replies.

SoCalDiscus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2007
Irvine, CA
www.socaldiscus.com
Hi all,

I'm interested in some worms in bulk, does anyone know of a good distributor in the west? I found some reasonable prices in Michigan, but shipping was more than the worms. Ideally, I would like aprox 500 Canadian nightcrawlers and 500 to 1000 European nightcrawlers depending on their size. I have a few fire eels (one is at 20 inches) that are getting expensive to feed one styrofoam cup from the baitshop at a time. Thanks for any suggestions.

Eric

JESTERX626

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2005
W'sup, if you do order it from anywhere I can split the shipping with you, lemme know by pm if you're interested. Lets get more people in!

cjfrontlovr

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2006
denver,nc..
i'm always looking for large canadian nightcrawlers if you find some..:popcorn:

StIcKy~RiCe

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 24, 2005
~ Laos ~
contact "hotfishgirl" i know you got night crawler in often with very cheap price and free to less shipping cost.

hope this help.

SoCalDiscus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2007
Irvine, CA
www.socaldiscus.com
JESTERX626;1995925; said:
W'sup, if you do order it from anywhere I can split the shipping with you, lemme know by pm if you're interested. Lets get more people in!
Splitting could be a great idea. As I get more info I will let you and anyone else know what I find. As long as we are all in relatively the same area that could work well. I am in southern California, Irvine to be specific. The reason I just put CA in the title is that ground shipping from any where in the west, specifically California should be more reasonable than from the Midwest.

cjfrontlovr;1995997; said:
i'm always looking for large canadian nightcrawlers if you find some..:popcorn:
In case you can't find any, I have currently been getting mine from Turner's Outdoor in regular retail cups. 25 to a cup for 5 or 6 bucks. They already said they will not order bulk for me.

StIcKy~RiCe;1996017; said:
contact "hotfishgirl" i know you got night crawler in often with very cheap price and free to less shipping cost.

hope this help.
I did ask her about it when she get her new big ray. She lives in the Boston area and was getting them from a shop in New York. I think the shipping from there would be a dealbreaker.

crtecrem;1996040; said:
Try the classified in Field & Steream magazine. I beleive in Ohio is Bestbait.com also
I will look into that. I found some in Michigan, but the shipping will probably be a problem from Ohio as well.

---

The main issue is that in order to order from anywhere east of the Rockies you have to ship at least 2nd day air. Basically, if they are far away, it isn't a great idea to ship ground if you prefer your live food to be alive. Here is the place I am referring to: http://www.knutsonlivebait.com/
They are in Michigan. I'm sure there are other places, which is part of why I posted here to see if anyone else has figured out the best way to do it.

Although I did find one place that uses a cooler pack in the northwest, I am still waiting for a response from them.

Here is a cost breakdown from Knutsons.

500 Canadian Nightcrawlers: $52.99, 2nd day air Shipping (15 lbs): $69.43
Total: $122.42

If you order a 1000, here are the numbers.

1000: $89.99 , 2nd day air shipping (30 lbs): $116.40, Total: $206.39

This makes the math really easy... $0.21 per worm @ 1000. I think I am paying $0.24 per worm currently, and I don't have an entire refrigerator full... which is nice. So, I'm not in a big hurry to order until I can find the right deal. For splitting purposes, I think I want at least 500 for myself. I feed about 5 per day so that should last me about 3 months. I have read that adding coffee grounds to the worm dirt helps keep them happy for longer. I don't think ordering more than 3 months worth at a time is a good idea for myself, and ordering more frequently sounds like a pain too.

I will update here as I find more info for anyone else wanting to split or order for themselves.

-Eric

TRENT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2007
OREGON
Same here, I had a old cooler, so I put some dirt it. Now I have a worm farm.:headbang2My kids love to look for worms at night in the yard. Add few coffee grounds and sprinkle some water for about 5min. Get your flashlights and the hunt is on. I use these to feed my JD, Flowerhorn and Cuban's.

umpbump;1997034; said:
have you considered raising a worm colony? i have reptiles and fish that chow down on worms (a ton of them) for free!

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store