building a 3 foot terriaum under a 60 gallon fish tank!!

ryanc2106

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2008
Los Angeles
Well i'm gonna build a terrium under my 60 gallon tank its about 3 feet long and a lil wider then a stander ten gallon tank!

under this tank: ( you can kinda see the top of the space, get better pic later)
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=212885&stc=1&d=1213068846

Plans are:

Close the back with ply wood and the sides * make it look like an enclosed stand, on the top ( where the terriaum would be) have to glasses that slide open , and the very top of that ( under the acuall fish tank) i will have a screen stapled there and with a handing heat lamp, since lacaera agilis only need that i will be fine, and under the bottom of the terraium there will be closed door for a stoarage area ( kinda hard to understand but ill have pics up to point everything out)

things i need to do are and have questions are how do i water proof the wood for it doent rott or anything?

since it will be pretty much enclosed and only the top for ventalation i was thinking adding vents on each side of the terriaum ? and also if thats not enough and need air flow , can i add the lil computer fans in there so it the air can flow?

anyone who built there own terriuams what you used? and how much it cost?

i want to do all my research and have everything i need before i start!

thanks!

EDIT: Can a mod change my hearder from " 2 foot terriaum " to a " 3 foot "

???

sorry!

dde1878

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2008
madera, ca
you can go to the diy forum here at mfk and type in search for other terrarium builds to get some ideas and questions answered.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
I don't think you'll need the fan for air flow with this species you should be fine with just the vents.

The Ippster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2008
New Hampshire
Aliphatic polyurethane for a coating, it is somewhat expensive, but it is tough and will keep the wood from rotting

ryanc2106

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2008
Los Angeles
ok all questions i really needed answered thqnks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store