What do baby Octopuses eat?

Fish_are_fishfood

Sea Robin
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2005
MA
What do right-out-of-the-egg, newly hatched baby octopuses eat? (in captivity that is)

Euge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2005
Hong Kong
Do you have a baby ocotopus? If so PLEASE post pics! Sorry this was a pretty useless post and offered no help. I just really want an octopus.

Fish_are_fishfood

Sea Robin
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2005
MA
sqratch said:
Do you have a baby ocotopus? If so PLEASE post pics! Sorry this was a pretty useless post and offered no help. I just really want an octopus.
Lol, well heres the deal. I went to a lfs last week, and saw an octopus with an egg sack for $100. I went back a couple days later and it was gone. So I saw my marine biologist teacher-friend today at work. He said that he recently got octpus eggs. What a coincidence, so he sayed that at this lfs, they had an octous that escaped. One of his students, who works at the lfs, was able to take home the eggs and gave them to the marine biologist teacher. As he did his stuff and checked out the eggs, he says that they are all fertile and tons of them. So he sayed that if they do hatch and he is able to keep them alive, he will give me 1 or 2. He sayed the problem was, what to feed them and how to do this. So thats what brings me here. If the can hatch and feed them, I may get an octopus.

Fish_are_fishfood

Sea Robin
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2005
MA
DiXoN said:
i moved this to marine section for you
Thanks, I didn't really know where to put it.

Any info on them would be appreciated.

magic

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2005
East Bay
Small shrimps, crabs, pieces of seafood, and amphipods from live rock. I know thats what they eat when young, i think it depends on size. Check out www.tonmo.com and im sure u can find answers there.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
They also occasionally eat other baby octopi.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Good point about eating clutch mates.

They eat any fish or other living organism small enough to grab ahold of.
Octos get out on a regular basis, so make sure your set up it TIGHT. Any space they can get their beak in is a possible exit.

It would be interesting to find out how they became fertilized with only one animal at the pet shop.

Also, a word of caution....all octo species have venom.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store