Setup a 2nd tank, not for monsters, need advice on DEDICATED Cardinal-tetra-tank

Damon0306

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2006
New Jersey
Just setup a 2nd tank, that I am going to dedicate to Cardinal tetra's, this is always something I wanted to do.

It's a small Oceanic 22-gallon-cube, that fits nicely in the corner next to my TV.

It's dimly lit, black-gravel, black background on back and right side. Filtered with 1 AquaClear 110 power filter.

I am dying to get some Cardinal tetras, but I have never had any experience with them. All the LFS's tell me that they need very soft water.

My water is very VERY hard so I don't know if this will work.

I may have better luck with Neon's, I have kept them many years ago, but I really want those Cardinals.

I wonder if I can get the Cardinals to adapt to the hard-water if I setup a very slow drip line, to a pail, with an airstone, before moving them to the tank?

Maybe I should I go the cheaper, more fail safe route with a batch of neons? I dunno what to do. :nilly:

Here is a quick photo of the tank.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
Better to adjust the water on a small tank like this, than stressing out the fish.

What is Ph & dH of your water?

Dr Joe

justin guest

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2008
Australia
In the Shop chain i used to work for in Germany we used to lower the ph to under six and a half when the fish came and with water changes slowly raise the Ph back up. When done gradually the cardinals will also adjust to hard water. They are more disease sentitive in water with a high Ph though so make sure water changes are done regularly. Best thing is still to hold them in soft water though
j<><

dirtyblacksocks

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2008
Moreno Valley
If they're surviving in the waters of your LFS, and the LFS isn't doing anything to the tap waters then I don't see why you need to keep them in soft waters.

If you do intend to recreate a biotype for them for the sake of getting the most out of their colors it's as simple as buying RO water from your LFS every week, out here 5 gallons sells for somthing like $1.50 so you're not looking at a huge hit to the pocket book to do the proper water changes.

Other things to take into consideration are that they enjoy black water biotypes, which consist of driftwood, tannin/tea colored water, and free floating plant life.

They also prefer a high temperature, at around 86 degrees they will thrive, 82-84 they will appreciate, anything lower and they will stress.

Damon0306

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2006
New Jersey
Thanks again for the input everone, I decided to go with Neons.. Mainly because of price difference, and after setting up my 150G Wakin tank I am kinda low on $

I put an order in were I purchased my 150G for BABY NEONS.. Luckly I called today, and the dealer said that his guy was going to the wholesaler tommorow.

If they seem some young ones that look OK there going to pickup 40 of them for me..

Damon0306

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2006
New Jersey
Always changing my mind! Went with Cardinals!! Mail-ordered a batch of them, going to take a gamble, never had them before and I just WANT them.

After losing 3 koi worth $580 a few months ago, I am willing to take my chances with this $100 gamble.

I am waiting for the fish as I type this message, acclimation bucket, airstone, and drip line all set and ready to go.

Will keep you posted TODAY.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store