Keeping sulcata outdoors?

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
Ok I live in Michigan and as everyone knows it gets COLD. Well I have wanted a sulcata for a long long time but they are way too big to keep indoors their whole life...Well sorta. So what would need to be done in order to keep a sulcata tortoise outdoors year long in Michigan when it gets too big. I have a basement that could always work too but the lighting requirements would cost a fortune when the enclosure is that big...Plus getting it upstairs when it hits 100+ pounds would be a *****...

Chad

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
Well yea I know that lol but I thought there was a way that you can do it without...

Chad

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
Not if its too cold for them lol. If you had a shed and outdoor area, you may inly have to heat it at certain times of year, if you have basking spots and insulate it well you may be able to do something.

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
benito1188;2013595; said:
sorry for hi jacking, but letting it stay outside would be dangerous with wild animals like racoon, cayote, etc??

There would be no racoon or coyote that would be running off with a 100 pound tortoise. It's not dangerous if you do it right;). Ok then what are the min/max temps for hibernating.

Chad

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
Unless you are able to match their natural habitats conditions, I don't think it would be wise to keep them outdoors all year long in your state.

Jeox

" I got monkeys in me! "
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2006
Chad55;2014469; said:
There would be no racoon or coyote that would be running off with a 100 pound tortoise. It's not dangerous if you do it right;). Ok then what are the min/max temps for hibernating.

Chad
sulcatas can't hibernate.

coura

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
europe
Not only sulcatas dont hibernate, but also they have real trobble with temps bellow 16 celcius (min ideal temp is 24 c) Also dont forget that heated shed thing is for guys in climates like south Europe wich have generaly good temps with the ocasional drop. In a place that geets COLD that is insuficient. And benito 1188 is rigth you do need to protect it agains any harm, and not only predators. Poisonous plants, garden tools , furniture,etc. And you are rigth having sulcatas in cold climates as well any large tropical herp is a very expensive adventure in therms of space and electricity. I think you need to find another smaller tortoise to keep. Leopards if you ask me are just as pretty , are smaller and you can take them outside when you want. They need a smaller inside habitat so lower elect costs:D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store