Using dual heaters - issues

JoelB

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2008
Australia
Isn't it true that only one of the heaters would function? I say this based on the fact that they cannot be set at precisely the same setting.

One would turn on first, then with its heating effect the other wouldn't even get to turn on. I'm assuming there is adequate current to spread the heat evenly around the tank and overcome the thermal inertia of the water.

If this is true then the other heater would only come on if the first failed, which is a good thing anyway....or if I changed in cold water.

I guess it would also mean that I should buy two heaters that are each capable of heating the tank on their own so that it doesn't take too long to recover and they don't get too stressed.

Is this the way it works or am I just talking through my hat?

Bud8Fan

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2006
Nebraska
johnptc;2012632; said:
set the second below the first like a back up.....if they are not oversized two reduce the risk of cooking your fish in the event one locks on
Wouldn't that increase your chances of cooking your fish? You would have two heater that could fail versus one.

Knowdafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Philippines
johnptc;2012632; said:
set the second below the first like a back up.....if they are not oversized two reduce the risk of cooking your fish in the event one locks on

Key words......"if they aren't oversized"!

That means as long as each heater is small enough (wattage wise) to NOT cook the fish.

Say you are looking for 300 watts for a heater. Each heater should be 150 watts max!

Bud8Fan

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2006
Nebraska
gotchya

unstopable4700

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
indiana
yes, two smaller heaters are the best way. i lost a 12" lima do to heater staying on, after that i switched straight to the 2 heater crowd

L.BelcherII

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2007
Work
I just put them as far away from eachother as possible. Once the weather turns, I'll put one in my sump and one in my tank.

BushFishRox

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Mississauga, Ont Canada
I use two 300watt heaters set at the same temp on my 220 with no problems, both come on and off at the same time...

JoelB

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2008
Australia
unstopable4700;2013515; said:
yes, two smaller heaters are the best way. i lost a 12" lima do to heater staying on, after that i switched straight to the 2 heater crowd
I assume you're getting them to both come on at the same time.

Is it hard to fine tune them that way?

Brian Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2008
Wood River Illinois
I just bought a 125gal with a 1000 watt heater is that too big ? It seems to work okay but I don't need any fried fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store