Current USA Fission Protein Skimmer

Neko-Chan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
Shibuya
This may sound stupid but i never had experience using protein skimmer before >.<

so i just wated to know which part in this skimmer do i have to service/maintain/replace.. im guesing it would be that white insert thingy at the top =D does the replacement for that thing have to be bought or would it be possible to just rinse it out well in the water you took out from the tank when you did a water change =D?

=^___^=?

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_Aquar...kimmers_current_usa_fission_nano_skimmer.html

Neko-Chan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
Shibuya
oh, i like how all u have to do is rinse and return it back! =D hmm no im curiouse cud you tell me why you think it is the worst nano skimmer Ever =^_^= what do you think itz cons are and pros =D i would like ot know what those are it would really help and also what is one you think maybe better nano skimmer =^_^=?

WeeNe858

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2006
:]
the whole idea of a skimmer shrunken makes sense.. but when its finally produced, its not that great. the small size gives you limited skimming ability. the fission its self is very hard to tune and ever cup replacement requires retuning. its simply the size and cost does not produce a very equal outcome (quality skimming) as far as other NANO skimmers, there are none. the best protein and organics removal is a simple water change. a gallon every 3 to 4 days will take care of it.

Neko-Chan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
Shibuya
hmm i guese that goes back to the idea that small nano tanks under 10 gal can get away with out using a skimmer =D just do the water changes =D cool cool!

i know u just said as for other skimmers there are none.. but.. what do u think of that taam rio skimmer =D? =^___^=?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Just keep the venturi clean, and the impeller of the pump clear and any skimmer with enough power will work. Skimmers are constantly removing DOC, etc, and although they don't replace water changes, they are methodically taking that unwanted stuff out of the water column. I have looked at skimmate under a microscope and compared it to straight tank water, beside crud, everything from algal cells, nematodes, and ciliates are removed by at least a factor of 10. No panacea, but a good tool.

I use a homemade one, and the skimmate removed and sloughing down the bag, convinces me it's worth while. And mine is on fresh water.

Neko-Chan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
Shibuya
Wow that skimmer you have looks very big =D or mayeb itz just the picture makign it look big =D wow thats really cool did u make that ur self =D? yes yes i understand water changes still have to be made always lol, but the skimmer really helps alot take alot of gunk =D and i Cant WAIT to see alot of gunk come out of the tank =D btw that bag on ur skimmer, is that where the stuff gets collected? then then u just clean or replace the bag with a another one? =^___^=?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store