Help with alternative to drilling (non-overflow)

JoelB

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2008
Australia
I have been talking to my local glass man about tank drilling, but he all but refused to do it for me.

As I am tearing down my tank, could I give him one end panel and ask him to cut the top corner off for me (just enough to put in a piece of acrylic with a hole for the drain attachment)?

If this is possible, is it the best option or should I get one corner of the bottom pane cut and then surround it with a full height weir?

cr8on

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2007
Whereabouts are you in Australia? Many aquariums in my area are more than happy to drill holes in your tank. If you can't get it drilled, have you considered a DIY overflow, made from PVC pipe? Have a look in the DIY section, there are a few articles on this.

JoelB

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2008
Australia
I have considered the overflow. Since I will have the panels there in my hand so to speak I figured why not go the extra step and gain the extra simplicity.

I have five LFS within 100km and no luck there.

I would have no problems making the attachments as I have suggested but I ask here for two reasons:
1. unsure about the strength compromise (if any), and,
2. curious about the benefit of the hole being in the bottom panel, as many seem to do it that way.

cr8on

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2007
The advantage of the hole being at the bottom is that with a weir, water will drain from the top and bottom of the tank versus just draining from the top if you drill the side of the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store