question about filters

digger

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2008
chicago
Has anyone ever known a filtration system that could keep the water in good parameters over a long period of time. Not just because I'm lazy but also so many water changes on huge tanks seems like a waste sometimes. I was also thinking of having solar panels on the roof to conserve energy

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
nope there isnt... why dont look into a drip system(auto water changer)

BushFishRox

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Mississauga, Ont Canada
when it comes to keeping fish healthy it is not a good idea to be too conservative; what you could do how ever is save the water you drain from the tank in a holding tank or something for watering the grass\plants, plants really like nitrates so you might even see a big improvement...

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
"so many water changes on huge tanks seems like a waste sometimes" :eek:

W/C's are a necessity not a luxury, especially with large tanks.

It is possible to cut them to a minimum with proper filtration but most are not willing or unable to have such a large filtration system (10:1).

Have you priced solar panel systems yet? :nilly:

Dr Joe

digger

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2008
chicago
Have you priced solar panel systems yet? :nilly:

Dr Joe

Very briefly it is mind boggling to see whats out there not just cost but also different items.

digger

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2008
chicago
I'm not saying that there maybe a way to never do a water change what I have been starting to look into are these plastic diy containers that turn into wetdrys, along with a lot of uv ster. type objects if there was a way to reduce say a weekly water change which is what I do now but my tanks are small.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

Do you monitor your water parameters? I mean not only nitrates, but also and especially conductivity. Compare the conductivity of your tap water with that in your tank. It might motivate you to do more rather than less water changes...

HarleyK

JayK1320

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Boston, MA
HarleyK;2024672; said:
Howdy,

Do you monitor your water parameters? I mean not only nitrates, but also and especially conductivity. Compare the conductivity of your tap water with that in your tank. It might motivate you to do more rather than less water changes...

HarleyK
What is conductivity? The only thing that I can think of is its electical charge? Just curious as to what this means.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
JayK1320;2024693; said:
What is conductivity? The only thing that I can think of is its electical charge? Just curious as to what this means.
Almost right: Ability to conduct an electrical current. Not unimportant, but often neglected. Read HERE

HarleyK

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store