Water reversed back into my air pump?

daveman12345

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
la
I have an Air Pump that went into a sponge where bubbles came out of it (sorry I don't know what it's called). That sponge-piece had a hole in the plastic, so the bubbles didn't completely go into the sponge. Anyways, somehow the water was slowly going reverse and back into the air pump. Now, when I shake the air pump I can hear water in it. It sounds like a hot iron when you add water to it to iron a shirt.

My questions are:

1) Is this normal? Or, am I doing something wrong? Can I get electrocuted since water went into the air pump unit?
2) Is there any way to seal the plastic of the sponge that has a hole in it?

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
pump should be taken apart and dried out... may not be good anymore.... really not good to run something electric with water in it as well....

also those lil check valves at your lfs are the greatest thing you can buy... they would have prevented this....

Fry

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2005
New York
Putting the pump above the tank's water level can prevent this as well.

Niisan9178

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2007
North Carolina
:OMG: That's what I do.

(Putting the air pump above the tank)

nfored

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2008
Missouri
Every Pump I ever bought came with check valves. I keep mine under the stand as I want to see no equipment when I look at my fish.

hbluehunter

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2007
Lynnwood, Wa.
I would take the pump apart and de-water it and let it dry out. If it's still working after that get a check valve from your LFS and that will fix your future problems...

cassharper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2007
Mansfield, Texas
1) Is this an extremely expensive pump? If not, trash it... it's not worth the risk

2) check valves are a valve place in a random section of feed tube that has a spring backed plate. Air flows the correct way it extends the spring and lets air through. If a syphon is start and water back flows, then the spring is compressed and the plate is locked in place preventing flow into the pump. Usually less than a dollar, great investment.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
The cheap one are a double reed style and fail after time from the rubber-like material hardening in the open state. (I have had them go bad from age in the package).

Get the spring style (you can see the spring inside the capsule) if possible, if not, replace them every 6 mo.s or so.

Dr Joe

daveman12345

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
la
cassharper;2021874; said:
1) Is this an extremely expensive pump? If not, trash it... it's not worth the risk

2) check valves are a valve place in a random section of feed tube that has a spring backed plate. Air flows the correct way it extends the spring and lets air through. If a syphon is start and water back flows, then the spring is compressed and the plate is locked in place preventing flow into the pump. Usually less than a dollar, great investment.
wow I'm surprised these things don't come with it to start with! i'm gonna leave the air pump on without any tubing and let the water air out and I'll try it again after I buy one of these valves.

thanks everyone for the tips.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store