Sand question....

Roflcopter

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2007
USA
I got a new tank and want to fill it with sand.however,I suspect the sand will fly everywhere when it's filled with water.how do i prevent that from happening or how long do i have to wait for it to settle?

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
fill it slowly. you shouldnt have any problem, any sand will quicky settle unless youre using a fire hose to fill your tank :D

Roflcopter

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2007
USA
Thanks man!lol im not rly used to using sand.

JayK1320

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Boston, MA
When I filled my tank with sand I filled it with water first, turned off the filter, then used a big cup to put the sand in, so I could bring it all the way to the bottom and then dump the cup out, hardly clouded at all, in an hour it was crystal clear. What kind of sand are you using? I used pool filter sand, worked great, I have heard that other sands are too find and they cloud easier and take longer to settle. Pool filter sand settle instantly, its grain is big enough that its like a real tiny gravel, I really like it. I am putting it in my second tank tomorrow.

twistedhumor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2007
roc,NY
ya water first works WAY WAY better!!! try and rise the a sand a bit first i usually fill a like plastic box with the sand run it under water get it wet and then put it on the bottem of my tank and flip it over takes a litttle longer works pretty well tho

black&white

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2007
ohio
I put a big flat rock under the hose when i filled my tank and it dint kick up any sand at all

radioaktiv

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
Dallas, TX
+1 on using a cup or bowl

as was said...dont just dump the sand in at the surface, bring it to the bottom then dump it

you'll want to do some rinsing first. putting the sand in a bucket and running the hose thru it at least 4 or 5 times.

its time consuming, but nothing beats sand IMO

OnceLoyal

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2008
Around
+1 on using a cup or bowl

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store