colorquartz black

I LIKE FISH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2008
USA
I'm switching my gravel to colorquartz black sand. When i rinse out the sand there's black stains on my hand. Is this normal? Also how will i know when it's done rinsing becasue the more i scrub the more black stains there are on my hand. when will i know that im done rinsing? thanks

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

I had the same problem and contacted 3M. I actually spoke directly with the chemist in charge of product development. The black stuff is carbon black (call it graphite if you want). It is a residue from the manufacturing process (used as black pigment), and you will not be able to remove it all. I rinsed mine for at least a couple of hours, but at the end, my hand still turned (but less) black.

Carbon is inert, some even add it in their filters. Once its adsorption capacity is depleted, it will simply be an inert material in your tank. It will not affect water chemistry nor fish. I do not have practical experience with rays in black colorquartz, though. I would assume it might coat them at the beginning, and they may shed more of their slime coat. Other bottom dwellers and fish should be just fine.

HarleyK

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
I LIKE FISH;2024665; said:
k thanks anyone else with more input?

More input than the answer from the chemist who designed the product?

I have it in 3 tanks and the fish show no ill effects,I dont keep rays though.

Buckdog

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2007
So.Cal. - Inland
Ditto what Harley said. The 3M guy I spoke with last year said that the outer coating is ceramic and is inert but washing may take some time.
I think the cichlid forum had a long thread on it some time back. I belive there is a thread here too on Colorquartz.

I LIKE FISH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2008
USA
thanks everyone. just making surethe black stains on my hand are normal and it wont affect my tank thats all thanks guys

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Check the 3M colorquartz website for dealers

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store