Pool pump for sump?

oregonian

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2007
portland, oregon
I just got a pool pump for free and i know it will work but i'm worried about the power usage. i know how to convert to watts but my question is it is rated as a 220-240v 8.0amp but it says output is 12v. so do i multiply the amps by voltage or output voltage. i just can't afford to use 1900 watts.

i would love to be able to use this as i could get my sump running and i was also thinking having the filter in the pump could be like a final polisher.

thanks

Knowdafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Philippines
Volts x Amps = Watts. Your estimate of 1900 watts is about right. What's the GPH? What size tank/sump where you thinking about running it on?

oregonian

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2007
portland, oregon
i think its about 900gph (i still have to check the serial number to check which actual pump it is). it would be for my new 150g. but that sucks cause i can't afford $100 a month for one pump

Knowdafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Philippines
I would recommend finding a better/more efficient pump. It's not "free" if the electric bill makes up for the cost of the pump!

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
8 amps is going to kill you compared to 99% of that are pumps equal in flow.

How many times do you want your tank to turn over?

There are much better pumps that will cost you way less right off the bat if you just dip into your wallet.

The monthly cost will be nothing compared to the 8 amp pool pump.

oregonian

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2007
portland, oregon
yeah i was just hoping i could get it for free :). anyways thanks all i'll probably go get a pump sunday. oh yeah i would like to go for 8-10times over. i have bichirs and angels right now. soon to have a CL horde. maybe some gars or needlefish also. i know over stocked which is why i want alot of filtration. i also will probably keep running a sponge filter by a battery air pump for safety.

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
Is this tank drilled?

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Sell the free pump on eBay starting at $1 and let it go for whatever the second highest bidder is willing to pay (sucks that it isn't what the high bidder is willing to pay). Anyway take that money and apply it to the pump that you really need.

oregonian

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2007
portland, oregon
not drilled i'm making pvc overflows.

i checked the pump last night and its actually a 132w- i was one number off on the model number:duh:. anyways i think i'm still going to just get a regular pump for the ease of it. thanks for all the help

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store