Magnum 350 Deluxe + What BIO Filtration Component?

pjmars

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2008
Chicago
Today i bought a used Magnum 350 Deluxe from a neighbor that is definitely not new but still works great. I only have to replace the impeller exhaust tube at a whopping $3.99. Was that a good deal? For a USED 350 deluxe? I should mention this filter will be used on my 55 gallon long- i decided to go a little over the recommended amount because I'll be keeping cichlids or a cat.

My other question is what should i do about biological filtration. My neighbor recommended under gravel filters to go along with the 350, but I'm not exactly sure what to do. I'm hoping i don't have to spend TOO much more money for decent bio filtration.

Any ideas? Sorry for the ignorance, i am a beginning hobbyist.

Regards,

Paul

pjmars

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2008
Chicago
I might as well just buy an EHEIM 2215 Classic Plus. Any opinions? I am a noob and I am dying over here.

RBE17

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2007
Coopersburg, Pa 18036
From what I've read here, you should be ok w/ those two filters. The Magnum will do the mechanical and the 2215 will do the bio. The recommendation is to place a sponge over the inlet of the Eheim to keep it from sucking up dirt and cloggion your media. Depending on your stocking level some might recommend an AC110, too.

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
Youve got it backward.Canisters are better biofilter.A real pita to run as mechanical cause you gotta take it apart to clean it.
Some use a sponge prefilter to keep debris out of the canister but you have to clean that every few days.

RBE17

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2007
Coopersburg, Pa 18036
gomezladdams;2034632; said:
Youve got it backward.Canisters are better biofilter.A real pita to run as mechanical cause you gotta take it apart to clean it.
Some use a sponge prefilter to keep debris out of the canister but you have to clean that every few days.
I was comparing the two to each other as he said it's what he had and didn't want to spend much more money. From what I've read and remember the Magnum 350s don't have much room for bio as compared to the Eheims. Ooops...just reading he's planning on buying the Eheim.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store