New sw tank

luisrcrx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2007
New Haven CT
well everyone I've been running fw for a few years and i decided to try sw

I'm starting this tread to show my progress its going to take me a few weeks so bear with me.

I inherited a 30gal from a coworker that was sitting in there garage for 2 yrs about a week ago came with a emperor 280,some gravel,decor,food, an old florescent light,stand and canopy. Cleaned up the tank,stand and canopy and filled the tank up with fw. About two days ago i picked up 30lbs of sugar sized argonite sand not the live kind, hydrometer and a surge protector the one with the timer. I dumped the sand in and im waiting for it to settle,I ordered a wet/dry filter http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3579+18381&pcatid=18381 witch is rated up to 30gals and a protien skimmer http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3579+7928&pcatid=7928 i'm only doing fish and live rock and everyone i talked to said this should be plenty filtration.

Today i picked up a korila powerhead pump #1, next on my list is salt not sure if i should get the real stuff or manmade stuff any difference?

I plan on using this power compact http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+9654+12109&pcatid=12109 with a 10k and actinic bulbs both 65 watts

heres a pic of my tank so far still cloudy from the sand go easy on me im a sw newbie

sw tank.jpg

PEVINE11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2007
Franklin N.H
www.myspace.com
sorry i cannot help with your questions but the tank and stand look nice

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
is that sand live sand?? the skimmer is not the best skimmer in the world but should work fine on that tank. as long as you have plenty or Live Rock in the tank with enough water movement, then you should be good on filtration. No need for mechanical although its nice when the tank is new. Add fish slowly and be sure the tank is fully cycled before you start.

luisrcrx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2007
New Haven CT
About how much live rock do i need? I was planing placing a few pieces at each corner with an open flat area in the middle

welsher7

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2006
Fort Wayne, IN
I would get about 50lbs or so. The wetdry and the HOB won't be needed. They will be just produce excess nitrates and phosphates. Live rock, good in tank circulation, and protein skimmer is all that is needed. I would get at least another powerhead. You might want to look in to RO/DI water to use to make your sw with. Or atleast test your tap water's TDS (total dissolved solids). Just take your time and be patient. Nothing good happens fast in sw.

rkrum

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2008
Colorado
It depends on what you want to keep. A good general rule is 1 1/2 pounds per gallon. However many people have more or less.

luisrcrx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2007
New Haven CT
I'm not using the hob at all i was just planing on the skimmer and the wet/dry. I chose this skimmer cause i am on a buget, i'll get everything ready as soon as i can with pics:headbang2

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
testing your TDS in non filtered water is a bit pointless. I would suggest geting a small RO unit or atleast having a source for it. RO water helps keep algae down be stripping the water of nutrients and other pesticides and other possible chemicals. if you want another koralia powerhead then id suggest getting a #2 this time, a bit more output which will help you with water movement and rock filtration.

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
Forget the wet/dry & get a better skimmer with the $$$.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store