can fish have seizures?

bermuda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2005
Colorado
i keep some bettas around cuz they're pretty, and i was wondering if they can have seizures. i got him a couple weeks ago at petsmart just for the hell of it really, and today he just started swimming in circles. big ones at first, but near the end they were really tight, nose to tail, so fast i thought he was going to spin right out of his bowl! and then he lay at the bottom of his bowl gasping, and nearly bent double, until he died. really unusual. the petsmart lady said stress, but she said betta-fix would cure him too, so i don't believe her. so... if they can't have seizures, what happened to my betta?

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
My Oscar has seizures...but he's a half-tard.

bermuda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2005
Colorado
yeah, that's what i thought, i'd just never heard of it. so you think that's what happened? i guess it doesn't really matter, it was a 4 dollar fish (nothing compared to some of the other brutes here, i guarantee) and i'll get another one friday, i was just curious. poor little bugger.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Yes, from several causes, toxins, disease, injury and electric shock all are possibles.

phreakyfaerie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
michigan
why petsmart man?

stardust79

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2008
London, UK
www.myspace.com
bermuda;207285; said:
i keep some bettas around cuz they're pretty, and i was wondering if they can have seizures. i got him a couple weeks ago at petsmart just for the hell of it really, and today he just started swimming in circles. big ones at first, but near the end they were really tight, nose to tail, so fast i thought he was going to spin right out of his bowl! and then he lay at the bottom of his bowl gasping, and nearly bent double, until he died. really unusual. the petsmart lady said stress, but she said betta-fix would cure him too, so i don't believe her. so... if they can't have seizures, what happened to my betta?
My fish died tonight I only had him a week. I have never seen anything like it. He had white spot so I treated him today then after about an hour he starting flipping around the tank swimming so fast smashing into the sides of the tank. Then he kept swimming in circles on his side for a few minutes then he floated down the bottom on his side sort of bent right over and he died within seconds. Poor little thing bless him.

Neervana

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2008
UK
phreakyfaerie;211700; said:
why petsmart man?
hmm yes i was thinking the same thing, aren't they supposed to be really awful with fish or something? :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store