Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    07-20-2013 10:27 PM

Question how to preserve fish or anthing else

Does anyone know how to perserve fish your any other animals or where to get supplies to do so ??????? I have a freezer full of dead fish I've been saving for year's mostly salt water like clown triggers that I don't want to trash but freezers getting full.

Wels Catfish Cichlaholics Anonymous's Avatar
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    Yesterday 7:56 PM
    you can probably pickle it in a jar with something as simple as rubbing alcohol, I've seen it work for about 5 years, not sure about long term though
    Quote Originally Posted by tourdeforce1;2095234;
    The interaction I've had between African cichlids in my hundred gallon tank has not been dissimilar to that of The Highlander.

Preservation
    use 70% alcohol for preservation (or at least maintenance of perservation) of our specimens...this is diluted from the 95% stuff we keep on hand in the lab. the actual preservation/fixation, however, is done with formaldehyde. if the fish is larger than just a few inches then i cut the belly so the chemical can enter into the insides of the fish and preserve everything. the fish stays in the form. solution for a couple days. if its a gar or bichir, a fish that has rigid bony scales, then i take the fish out after 2-3 days and just let it air dry. the fish is now dry preserved.

if doing a standard preservation i take the fish out after 2-3 days and let it sit in a container of water to soak out the formalin. after a day in the water the fish is removed and placed into a container of 70% alcohol for long-term preservation.
    as far as using other alcohol, i think as long as its relatively pure and the proof is about 140 you should be ok...in theory --
    There can never be too many bichir creature keepers

"I am Grey.I stand between the darkness and the light,between the candle and the star."

Cobra Snakehead dark_knights_99's Avatar
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    10-29-2012 2:31 AM
    You could also use super worm (yes the ones you feed to arowana) in preserving the fish. It will look mummyfied but its preserved. If you don't want that kind of preservation then do the formalin.
    Exotic/ Oddball fish addict since 2000

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    07-20-2013 10:27 PM
    Thanks any other suggestions or how about places to buy alcohol at that 70% to 95%

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    02-22-2014 6:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by beblondie;2043390;
    Preservation
    use 70% alcohol for preservation (or at least maintenance of perservation) of our specimens...this is diluted from the 95% stuff we keep on hand in the lab. the actual preservation/fixation, however, is done with formaldehyde. if the fish is larger than just a few inches then i cut the belly so the chemical can enter into the insides of the fish and preserve everything. the fish stays in the form. solution for a couple days. if its a gar or bichir, a fish that has rigid bony scales, then i take the fish out after 2-3 days and just let it air dry. the fish is now dry preserved.

if doing a standard preservation i take the fish out after 2-3 days and let it sit in a container of water to soak out the formalin. after a day in the water the fish is removed and placed into a container of 70% alcohol for long-term preservation.
    as far as using other alcohol, i think as long as its relatively pure and the proof is about 140 you should be ok...in theory --
    So i could preserve a fish in Everclear? sweet, good for mixing AND preserving!
    Bring Back Snakeheads:

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Real Name
    Cassandra
    Last Activity
    06-06-2014 3:22 PM
    Hmm interesting I didnt know
    Can I has ?

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    01-16-2010 2:00 AM
    What about taxidermey?

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    04-18-2012 10:41 PM
    And maybe someday there will be a way to bring the back to life. Haha how sick would that be. Zombie Aros. Sick movie name.
    R.I.P Greenaveli
    1980-2008

]\/[onster Oscar League

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    03-31-2014 8:12 PM
    I preserve animals as a hobby and have just about over 100 diff specimens ranging from kangaroos rabbits seahorses birds spiders etc. I air dry or soak in metho - i no its not the best way of preserving.

Cam
    Native Fish Addict

!Click Here! <-----

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast