how to preserve fish or anthing else

coreyweinkoetz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2008
manitowoc,WI
Does anyone know how to perserve fish your any other animals or where to get supplies to do so ??????? I have a freezer full of dead fish I've been saving for year's mostly salt water like clown triggers that I don't want to trash but freezers getting full.

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
you can probably pickle it in a jar with something as simple as rubbing alcohol, I've seen it work for about 5 years, not sure about long term though

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
Preservation
use 70% alcohol for preservation (or at least maintenance of perservation) of our specimens...this is diluted from the 95% stuff we keep on hand in the lab. the actual preservation/fixation, however, is done with formaldehyde. if the fish is larger than just a few inches then i cut the belly so the chemical can enter into the insides of the fish and preserve everything. the fish stays in the form. solution for a couple days. if its a gar or bichir, a fish that has rigid bony scales, then i take the fish out after 2-3 days and just let it air dry. the fish is now dry preserved.

if doing a standard preservation i take the fish out after 2-3 days and let it sit in a container of water to soak out the formalin. after a day in the water the fish is removed and placed into a container of 70% alcohol for long-term preservation.
as far as using other alcohol, i think as long as its relatively pure and the proof is about 140 you should be ok...in theory --

dark_knights_99

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2006
Philippines
You could also use super worm (yes the ones you feed to arowana) in preserving the fish. It will look mummyfied but its preserved. If you don't want that kind of preservation then do the formalin.

X24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2007
Nebraska
beblondie;2043390; said:
Preservation
use 70% alcohol for preservation (or at least maintenance of perservation) of our specimens...this is diluted from the 95% stuff we keep on hand in the lab. the actual preservation/fixation, however, is done with formaldehyde. if the fish is larger than just a few inches then i cut the belly so the chemical can enter into the insides of the fish and preserve everything. the fish stays in the form. solution for a couple days. if its a gar or bichir, a fish that has rigid bony scales, then i take the fish out after 2-3 days and just let it air dry. the fish is now dry preserved.

if doing a standard preservation i take the fish out after 2-3 days and let it sit in a container of water to soak out the formalin. after a day in the water the fish is removed and placed into a container of 70% alcohol for long-term preservation.
as far as using other alcohol, i think as long as its relatively pure and the proof is about 140 you should be ok...in theory --
So i could preserve a fish in Everclear? sweet, good for mixing AND preserving! :ROFL:

xFLEAxx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2008
New Jersey
And maybe someday there will be a way to bring the back to life. Haha how sick would that be. Zombie Aros. Sick movie name.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store