Eheim 2217 - Too Powerful for a smaller tank?

daveman12345

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
la
Hey, I currently have a 60 gallon grow out tank for my Arowana. I wanted to get a canister filter because the hang-on filters disturbed the top of the water too much. The canister filter is the right choice to not disturb the top of the water right? In about a year, I plan to have a 150 gallon tank. So, I figure instead of buying the Eheim 2213 that's rated up to 66 Gallons, I can get the 2217 that's rated up to 159 gallons.

My main question is: will getting the 2217 be overkill for my current small tank? Or, is there a trick or meter where I can change the current level of filtration?

To note, on the item page for the 2217, it says "UP TO 159 GALLONS". I assume "up to" means it can handle anything less than that, but nothing over.

JayK1320

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Boston, MA
daveman12345;2047540; said:
Hey, I currently have a 60 gallon grow out tank for my Arowana. I wanted to get a canister filter because the hang-on filters disturbed the top of the water too much. The canister filter is the right choice to not disturb the top of the water right? In about a year, I plan to have a 150 gallon tank. So, I figure instead of buying the Eheim 2213 that's rated up to 66 Gallons, I can get the 2217 that's rated up to 159 gallons.

My main question is: will getting the 2217 be overkill for my current small tank? Or, is there a trick or meter where I can change the current level of filtration?

To note, on the item page for the 2217, it says "UP TO 159 GALLONS". I assume "up to" means it can handle anything less than that, but nothing over.
I am wondering the same thing, I plan to upgrade to a 90 soon as was looking at the Eheims. Someone told me though they are not good for what the Eheim website says they are. As in the 2217 would be good for a 75g not a 150g. If we can not trust the manufacturers spec, then how do we get a filter rated for your tank size? I also wondered is there such a thing as too much filtration?

---XR---

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2006
Pa
over powering filtration depends on the fish and the fishes size. a 2217 shouldn't be a problem for an aro.

note- aro's grow big and FAST and no species could be kept in a 150 for life. (the footprint doesn't matter).

daveman12345

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
la
Let me chime in that I'm putting it in with an Aro and a few other fish (Cichlid tank mate and Pleco). So, it does sound like a filter rated for a higher gallon tank will work on a smaller tank.

SMS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2007
MASS
They come with double taps so you can adjust the flow on the intake.
Double taps are like quick disconnect valves on the tube close to the can.

unknownuza13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2005
You should be fine. I have an Eheim Pro 3 on a 125 gallon tank along with a HOB filter and a wet dry and the current is not too strong for the fish. All filter manufacturers greatly exaggerate the filtering capacity of their filters. There is no way I would use a single Pro 3 on a 400 gallon tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store