White web?

turtle_girl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
Virginia
I didn't know where to put this...so it can be moved to where ever if it needs to be...

I have had my 55 gal for over a month now and have noticed that there is something on the gravel in the tank under the driftwood its looks like a white kind of web or something? I dont know what it is. I do 25% water change twice a week. After the water change it takes about 4 days to show up again on the gravel. Its no kind of worm, it just looks like a white web. Anyone have any idea what could cause this?

turtle_girl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
Virginia
Well after doing some searching, I may have found the answer to my problem. Just in case anyone else ever has this problem, its more than likely caused by over feeding...my fish like to take the cichlid sticks and make a mess, pretty much anywhere they made the mess, the white web fungus was. So I will just have to feed less!

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
Wow! 11 minutes ...Good job, you are correct in your findings. (weird stuff huh?!)

What kind of circulation do you have in the tank?

Sometimes more current close to the bottom helps too.

Dr Joe

turtle_girl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
Virginia
I couldn't find a name for it. The closest I could find to it is Filamentous Algae. But its white. So I am going to go do a water change and continue to do some water changes over the next few days to try and get rid of all of it. One main problem is that all my fish except my pleco are messy eaters! I have 2 small green terrors and 2 parrot fish. I have 5 snails in there as well, and they seem to do a lot of cleaning up, but they just can't get all of it!
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

slowef

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2008
Destin, FL
www.myspace.com
Right on. I think the Doctor was in the right direction when he asked what kind of circulation you have... better bottom current will welp get that left over food up of the bottom and to the filter's.

REDhooK

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Penn
I had that tooo! The guy at my lfs said its just a fungus that grows on some wood, u gotta take it out and scrub it down with a brush, its not harmful to the fish when its small

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store