Clear Green Water

aeri

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto
My 135G is starting to turn clear and green/yellow. This is not the same cloudy green that you get from an uncycled tank, but a clear one, with green tint. I've noticed that some people get this in especially larger tanks, but mine is only a 135.

Did a quick search but could only find threads about cloudy green water and not clear green. Not sure if it's the same thing.

cdienzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Do you have driftwood in there? Is the tank planted? IME, for some reason, my planted tanks with driftwood both have clear water but with a green/yellow tint. Params for both are consistently A0, N0, N<20. Doesn't seem to be hurting the fish any, though.

It's odd because my tanks which only have driftwood & the tanks which are planted w/o driftwood all have normal, clear water.

I don't think it's free floating algae- isn't that somewhat cloudy?

I'd like to hear some suggestions on this as well.

Sorry for the semi-hijack.

-cd

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
cdienzo;2053392; said:
Do you have driftwood in there? Is the tank planted? IME, for some reason, my planted tanks with driftwood both have clear water but with a green/yellow tint. Params for both are consistently A0, N0, N<20. Doesn't seem to be hurting the fish any, though.

It's odd because my tanks which only have driftwood & the tanks which are planted w/o driftwood all have normal, clear water.

I don't think it's free floating algae- isn't that somewhat cloudy?

I'd like to hear some suggestions on this as well.

Sorry for the semi-hijack.

-cd
Not in the early stages.

aeri... Need to know what filtration system you have.

Any build up in filter or tank?

How old is the tank?

Have you made changes recently?

Stocking levels?

Possible over-feeding?

Anything you've already tried?

Can you borrow or buy a UV sterilyzer?

Dr Joe

cdienzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Thanks Doc, for addressing this common problem that the OP & I are having.

Each tank is 10g w/ Penguin 100 HOB + sponge filter. One tank is in a dark room inside the TV section of an entertainment console. Never in direct sunlight. Other tank receives indirect sunlight from an adjacent window. Both tanks are equally green/yellow but "clear". Tanks lights are nearly never on. Both are planted with bunches of java fern and anubias, which are both doing well. Ordinary (non-fluorite) gravel for both, too.

Water changes are 20% 2x/week.

No algae build-up in tank & filter is rinsed in aquarium water ~ q10 days.

How old is the tank?
About 7 mos. (1 bought new, the other had been out of service for about 2 years)

Nope. Everything is "as is" from the start.

Stocking levels?
1 male betta + 2 peppered corys in one tank, 1 male betta + 3 black neon tetras in the other.

Possible over-feeding?
Doubtful as each betta gets ~6 pellets per day. Corys get sinking microwafers or discs. Tetras get sinking microwafers and avg. 4-6 "bites" per fish. Yes, I really do sit there and watch/count. :screwy:

Other than upping my water changes, I've tried a round of "Al-gone" . I thought is was working, but no dice.

That was going to be my next step. I was going to rig a UV steri. to an old HOT Magnum filled with media, carbon and filter floss in an effort to polish and sterilize. I was planning on rotating the Magnum to each of my tanks for 2-3 days each.

IDK.... at least the fish are healthy!

Regards,
-cd

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Wonder if you're feeding a spirulina based food?
I feed HBH spirulina and it seems to temporarily"dye" the water greenish.
for a day or so after feeding it.

My protein skimmer tends to remove the green in a day or 2.

Here's shot a few days after feeding non-spirulina based food, although the PVC pipe retains the color.

I've been told some of the "green" foods are actually dyed, to look more green.

aeri

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto
Thanks for the replies. I don't have any driftwood or plants in the tank. Just sand.
DrJoe, as for your questions:

aeri... Need to know what filtration system you have.
I have this home-made thing that can be seen at:
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156718

There's some left over crap laying around in the tank that sometimes takes a while to get pulled into the drilled hole that leads to the wet/dry.

How old is the tank?
Around 3 years.

I re-did the home-made wet/dry tower about 4 weeks ago but still using all the same media. Didn't have this problem before.

Stocking levels?
Overstocked with some catfish I'm trying to sell. (jardini, ck, rtc/tsn, paroon, 2x rtc, clarias)

Possible over-feeding?
The food gets finished in 15 seconds, but then again they are catfish...

If absolutely necessary I could go buy one.

aeri

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto
duanes;2054152; said:
Wonder if you're feeding a spirulina based food?
I feed HBH spirulina and it seems to temporarily"dye" the water greenish.
for a day or so after feeding it.
I throw in about 1 or 2 algae wafers along with the other pellets...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store