Clown Fish Host Anemones

water_baby83

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2006
UnDeR tHe SeA
www.myspace.com
For future reference, here are nine species of Anemones which will readily host a variety of Clowns.

Entacmaea quadricolor, Bulb, Bubble-Tip or Maroon Anemone - Tentacles inflated at tips, with white band and pink tip (usually). Red or pink form called Rose Anemone. Attaches to hard surface. In nature hosts Maroon and Bluestrip clownfishes. In aquarium will also host Tomato and Clark's clownfishes, also. Can be propagated in captivity. The best choice for hobbyist aquariums.

Macrodactyla doreensis, Long Tentacle Anemone - Column always red or salmon pink, with veruccae underneath oral disk. Buries column in substrate. Seldom confused. Natural symbionts are Clark's and Pink Skunk clownfishes; in aquarium often accepted by Maroon, Bluestripe and Tomato clowns, as well.

Heteractis crispa, Purple Long Tentacle Anemone, Leathery Anemone - Column tough, leathery, and buried in substrate. Tentalces long and pointed, often bright purple in color. Not common in trade. Hosts Clark's, Bluestripe, True Percula, Pink Skunk and Saddleback clownfishes.

Heteractis malu, Sebae Anemone, Singapore Sebae, Hawaiian Sand Anemone - Column and oral disk uniform pale color, with stubby tentacles usually tipped in magenta. Column buried in substrate. Seldom confused. Hosts only Clark's clownfish in nature, and may host Tomato and Bluestripe clowns in the aquarium. Only host available from within the USA.

Heteractis aurora, Beaded Anemone, Aurora Anemone - Not common in aquarium trade. Buries column in substrate; tentacles with raised, white ridges unmistakable. Only common aquarium clown hosted is Clark's.

Heteractis magnifica, Magnificent Anemone, Ritteri Anemone, Red Radianthus Anemone - Seldom mistaken. Attaches to hard surfaces in good current and bright light; may wander. Column smooth, often colorful; tentacles always slightly inflated, with yellow or white pigment at tips. Hosts Clark's, Bluestripe, Ocellaris ("Percula"), True Percula, and Pink Skunk clowns. Not for beginners, difficult.

Stichodactyla gigantea, Giant Carpet Anemone - Tentacles longer than other carpet anemones, and slightly pointed at tips. May be blue, turquoise or purple in color. Hosts Clark's, Ocellaris, and True Percula clowns.

S. haddoni, Haddon's Carpet, Saddle Carpet Anemone - Tentacles almost always two colors, imparting a mottled appearance. Hosts Saddleback and Clark's clownfishes.

S. mertensi, Merten's Carpet, Sri Lanka Carpet - Tentacles stubby, knob-like, uniform brown or occassionally bright green in color. Hosts Clark's and Ocellaris clownfishes.

Keeping Anemones:
Host anemones can live to be very old in the oceans, and should only be attempted by hobbyists willing to provide for their requirements. Choose the hardier species. Water conditions must be within the parameters recommended for coral reef aquariums. Provide intense, wide spectrum lighting. Anemones need the same light conditions required by many stony corals. Most host anemones bury the column in substrate. The exceptions are Entacmaea quadricolor and Heteractis magnifica. If one of the other species fails to bury its column, the substrate may bee too coarse or irritating. Soft, sandy substrates are best. Anemones seem to do best if the aquarium is kept at 75F, and do not seem to do as well at warmer temperatures. Unless you know from experience that the anemone will not be stung by another type of polyp, do not put other coelenterate polyp specimens into the same tank with the anemone. Anemones require good water circulation, but can be damaged by a forceful current directed straight at them. Always handle anemones gently. Be especially careful if the anemone must be removed from a solid surface. Damage to the tentacles of the anemone is usually not significant, but damage to the pedal disk or column may be fatal.

Ricko

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2008
earth
I have had a few anemones over the past but they always "walk" around, once one of them got stuck in a powerhead. I have only ever wanted one for the effect produced when clowns live in them, how much chance do i have achieving this with a non-mobile coral?

puffcrusader696

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2008
Corning, New York
www.youtube.com
Ricko;2475727; said:
I have had a few anemones over the past but they always "walk" around, once one of them got stuck in a powerhead. I have only ever wanted one for the effect produced when clowns live in them, how much chance do i have achieving this with a non-mobile coral?
if an anemone finds a place it likes then it should stay. my anemone hasnt moved since it found a spot its second day. its been over two months

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
water_baby83;2053384; said:
Heteractis malu, Sebae Anemone, Singapore Sebae, Hawaiian Sand Anemone - Column and oral disk uniform pale color, with stubby tentacles usually tipped in magenta. Column buried in substrate. Seldom confused. Hosts only Clark's clownfish in nature, and may host Tomato and Bluestripe clowns in the aquarium. Only host available from within the USA.
"Only host available from within the USA."?

Does this mean only anemone harvested from the WILD available within the USA? Because Ive seen most of those other speicies in various LFS's in the midwest.

- Quite honestly, I know I put that there for a reason, but it's been so long I can't remember why. I know I didn't mean that they were the only available from a retail aspect though. I wish I would have taken a moment to finish my thought on that back then because I know I had a point, but can't remember it now, lol. Sorry for the confusion! -- Water_Baby83

S220G

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2010
PA
I have seen clarkii and marroon clowns hosting in spaghetti leather, finger leather and even a hairy mushroom. So if lighting or other limitations are resticting you, you could try those corals but the leathers are often the best.

Don4921

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
Tampa
S220G;3831310; said:
I have seen clarkii and marroon clowns hosting in spaghetti leather, finger leather and even a hairy mushroom. So if lighting or other limitations are resticting you, you could try those corals but the leathers are often the best.
I have also had success with leathers and even a few torch colonies.

Jrob

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2011
Michigan
i have a regular ocellaris and a black ocellaris, was looking to try and get them to host an anemone, everywhere i look it says that they like carpet anemones...but my tank is only a 29 x-high, and the anemone wouldnt be able to live in my tank too long...are there any dwarf carpets that they would like to live in??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store