any particular current pattern preferable?

Dreamy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2008
Antelope CA
So, the new 75 is sitting in the front room, filled these four days now and set up with the stuff the store suggested, except the filter, a Marineland C-360, which I prefered because it's for a larger volume of water. It's connected - four trays of stuff, half of which are totally unfamiliar to me - perking merrily, and two Aquaclear 50 powerheads, one on either side. There are filters to go with, but they're not attached at the moment. My question is, where should I point the powerheads? I have them close to the bottom and pointed in the same direction thinking that that would create a circular pattern but would feel more comfortable with a more knowlegeable opinion. I'm awaiting a collection of nice starter plants from MA and wonder if they like such strongly moving water, or if in fact, it wouldn't blast them right out of the gravel. This tank is 48X18X20. Any enlightenment will be welcome.
Thanks, Jackie

davidtcb1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2006
Nashville TN
Are you using the powerheads with an undergravel filter or just for water movement? Until you see how your plants are going to fare, I'd point the output of the powerheads toward the surface to agitate the water there. That Marineland filter is a good one. If you left the media in it the way it came, you should be fine. There's lots of surface are for biological filtration and good think pads for mechanical.

Dreamy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2008
Antelope CA
The powerheads are for water movement, only. The filters that go with them attach to the intakes but are not connected at the moment. So, I'll turn the powerheads sideways and point the outputs towards the surface. That sounds more plausable so far as plant growth is concerned, too. Good to hear the filter choice was a good one, too. Thanks for your advice!

Bawb2u

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2005
MA
Dreamy;2057692; said:
The powerheads are for water movement, only. The filters that go with them attach to the intakes but are not connected at the moment. So, I'll turn the powerheads sideways and point the outputs towards the surface. That sounds more plausable so far as plant growth is concerned, too. Good to hear the filter choice was a good one, too. Thanks for your advice!
Personally, in planted tanks I like to try to make the water flow in one direction because it looks more natural, like water flowing in a river or stream. It takes more thought and creativity but it looks so much nicer in the end.

Here's an example of a setup I made several years ago.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158953&highlight=laminar

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store