Please HELP with Wet/Dry Filter

livifivil

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
PA
I am fairly new to the aquarium game. I wanted to start up a cichlid tank. i have a little problem with my filter though. The first problem is that the pump send water back into the tank from the sump with such power that i cannot have any substrate in the back corner because it all gets moved by the water. The other problem I had is that I used to have a bichir that I fed small feeders and i was findning that most of these feeders were getting sucked into the syphon and sent down into the bio balls. Also, since the intake is at the top of the water line, I have a lot of problems with fish food getting sucked into the sump as well. Lastly, I used to have gravel at the bottom and it gets way to dirty because there is no aggitation on the bottom of the tank. Is a wet/dry filter for me or should I invest in a canister?

big dovii

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2007
Edmonton, AB, Can
put screen around the intake too small to let the food or the feeders get down.
problem solved.

alcohologist

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2007
singapore
:iagree:
add the screening.
also you could add a rain/spray bar to the output of your pump. wont blow all your gravel away but should create enough current to keep it clean.

livifivil

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
PA
Great, thanks for the help. Where would be a good place to get a rainspray bar? That won't disrupt sand because I am going to switch to that before I repopulate the tank.

livifivil

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
PA
Also, the return is 1/2 PVC. Will I be able to install a spray bar on that? Keep in mind that this is a home made wet/dry filter.

rook45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
new jersey
livifivil;2062175; said:
Also, the return is 1/2 PVC. Will I be able to install a spray bar on that? Keep in mind that this is a home made wet/dry filter.
Sure make a DIY spray bar with more pvc and a cap. Then just drill the holes in the pvc.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
I agree with the spray bar comments. You can also put a ball valve after the pump if you want to reduce the flow.

I would not put a fine screen or anything that would clog on the overflow though. That could end up in a huge mess if it gets clogged.

What type of overflow do you have? There is a few options to keep things from going in it depending on what type you have.

nfored

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2008
Missouri
alcohologist;2060671; said:
:iagree:
add the screening.
also you could add a rain/spray bar to the output of your pump. wont blow all your gravel away but should create enough current to keep it clean.
I have a spay bar from my sump on 1 end of the tank and a spray bar from my canister on the other. Both point at each other, this creates enough flow that I rarely have to gravel vac, and when I do its only dust no big stuff like before.

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
building a spray bar is childs play if you built the wet/dry. You could also just have the return more towards the surface so it doesn't disturb the substrate as much.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store