noise levels- canister vs HOB?

abuley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2008
North Carolina
Hey guys, I'm just about to purchase a Rena canister filter, and I was just curious on how much more/if any noise the canister filter makes compared to my decently quiet HOB filter? Does anyone notice a lot of noise from their canister filters?

CichlidAddict

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2006
MN
I have both XP3s and Emp 280s and the XP3s are quite a bit quieter.

freeskierrocket

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2005
SouthEast, PA, USA
eheim are the quietest by far, renas are pretty quiet unless they get real dirty then they might get a little noisy, but for most people they will be under your tank in the enclosed stand so that should pretty much quiet all but the loudest filters...I am currently running Emp 400's and an eheim 2028. the Emp stays bearable for the living room but i run the eheim in my bedroom...

At one point i had 3 rena cannisters in my bedroom under a wrought iron stand (125gal), so yes thay are pretty quiet...:)

Trippingpara

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 10, 2008
New England
My Rena xP3 is far quieter than any of my HOBs (AC110, Emp 400, etc.). There is a very slight hum that is only detectable when you place your head next to it. Not quite silent like the Eheims but pretty bloody close!

crisper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2008
over there boi
I believe that cans are quieter than hobs. But that depends on the level of the water in your tank for a hob " waterfall effect. And how far under the water surface you place your spraybar or outlet on your cans. I have noticed that the covers rattle and vibrate on the ac hobs. Still love the ac110 though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store