Stingray Symposium update

csx4236

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2006
USA
Event was incredible wanted to thank all who attented for making it a great two days. Thanks to Erica from Shedd Aquarium, Todd, Richard, Kevin, Frank & Nico, Patricia-Getulio-Maurrico the Brazilian scientists who were just incredible to talk to and very eager to learn about our stingrays in aquariums and the major differences between wild and captive bred rays. Event was just great thanks to all who attanted was nice to meet and chat with you all. Looking forward for another next event maybe at my facility in NY next year. Li will get some good pictures up soon.

Thanks Mike

digger

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2008
chicago
It was a great time. Thanks for being there and sharing your knowledge as well. Hopefully I'll be in NY sometime this year.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
wish i was there :(

csx4236

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2006
USA
Nic;2061157; said:
wish i was there :(
You dont know what you missed, Best part was networking and getting to know everyone late night was incredible amount of fun.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
next year you have one at your place :D

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
or we have it in PHILLY

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
Sounds like a great exchange of information!

Any word on the BAN being uplifted? Learn anything surprising?

csx4236

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2006
USA
As far as the ban it is all still just speculation nothing has been approved and no one really knows for sure. Yes we have learned alot about these rays in there natural habitat and the scientists learned alot about rays in captivity there seems to be a huge difference in behavior of wild rays and captive rays. They do not breed often in the wild, once a years seems to be the norm and they might have 50 pups in a females entire lifteime, compared to 20-40 rays per female a year in captivity. Diets are different depending on type of ray some prefer a mostly snail diet while others prefer insect larva. Rays are also known to come out of the water close to beaches to eat insects off the shoreline there were some pictures of rays doing this supplied by the scientists. Man I cant even believe how much info was discussed.

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
csx4236;2061434; said:
As far as the bas it is all still just speculation nothing has been approved and no one really knows for sure. Yes we have learned alot of these rays in there natural habitat and the scientists learned alot about rays in captivity there seems to be a huge difference in behavior of wild rays and captive rays. They do not breed often in the wild, once a years seems to be the norm and they might have 50 pups in a females entire lifteime, compared to 20-40 rays per female a year in captivity. Diets are different depending on type of ray some prefer a mostly snail diet while others prefer insect larva. Rays are also known to come out of the water close to beaches to eat insects off the shoreline there were some pictures of rays doing this supplied by the scientists. Man I cant even believe how much info was discussed.
Wow, very interesting....

Can I ask what type of rays prefer what types of food? What did they say motorros tend to eat more?

Any pics of rays jumping onshore to catch insects? Sounds like an amazing picture!

So now I wonder what the effects of this constant breeding does to female rays? Any noted negative effects?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store