How to house feeder crickets?

Jfitz

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Montreal
Just bought about 30 feeder crickets for my newly acquired gargoyle gecko and was just wondering how to properly house them without them dying?
What size cage / tank should i have for 30 of them? How much food should i give them? etc..

dde1878

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2008
madera, ca
the problem with putting them in a cage is carbon monoxide. it settles on the bottom of what ever you house them in. the little cricket keepers work good but you need to put holes in the bottom of it to let the carbon monoxide leak out. a good way to feed them is put a chunk of carrot or a baby carrot in a small dish like a tea cup dish. just keep an eye on the water level. the water in the dish serves two purposes, one to give water to the crickets to drink and two to help the carrot from drying out. hope this helps.

o yeah forgot you can also but cricket food at your local pet store. that stuff has moisture in it and the nutrients the crickets need to live. i never buy it cause i'd rather save the money but it's your choice.

Jfitz

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Montreal
Thanks man!
I think i'll stick to carrots for now.
Also does it matter what size the aquarium is ?

dde1878

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2008
madera, ca
the size doesn't matter but in smaller enclosures you want to put lots of stuff for them to climb on. egg cartons work really well and you can use the slots where the eggs go to put a little water and then stick the carrot in there as well.

snakeheader

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2008
ohio
I keep mine i a 10 gallon but you have to watch cause the pinheads can climb glass so make sure you have a type fitting lid,use egg cartons for places to hide and for water just use a damp sponge,they absolutly loveeeeeeeee lettuce but Id invest in a 8 dollar thing of cricket quencher found at your local pet shop,also with that stuff it is food and water all in one.Anything else just ask,I know lotttttttttttsssss about cricks haha.

Jfitz

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Montreal
snakeheader;2062623; said:
I keep mine i a 10 gallon but you have to watch cause the pinheads can climb glass so make sure you have a type fitting lid,use egg cartons for places to hide and for water just use a damp sponge,they absolutly loveeeeeeeee lettuce but Id invest in a 8 dollar thing of cricket quencher found at your local pet shop,also with that stuff it is food and water all in one.Anything else just ask,I know lotttttttttttsssss about cricks haha.
lol ok thanks man:p Too bad after this care they're gonna be fed to my gecko lmao. For the lettuce do i just toss it in there or do i have to cut it in to really small pieces?

dzb912

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2007
illinois
i just use a critter keeper
the large ones
then get cricket feed and that geletin water
cricket feed is basically oatmeal
and get some egg grates place them in theyre in rows
and put your feed and water in the egg crates.....
then your set
its easy cleanup
just smells bad

Jfitz

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Montreal
dzb912;2065418; said:
its easy cleanup
just smells bad
Lol i realised the whole smell bad situation the second i got them.
All i did was toss them in a small bug catcher with 4 lil circles off of the egg carton. Then i tossed in some sliced lettuce and spray them with water once a day. They seem happy :)

dzb912

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2007
illinois
i dont think you should spray them with water
sure letuce will work
but the cricket feed and gell water is better
and keeping alot of egg cartons helps to get the crix out of theyre enclosure

Jfitz

Fire Eel
MFK Member