What pump should i be using?

mwilson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2008
maryland
I have a 220 gal tank w/ a 55gal home made sump. I have dual 1"pvc overflows that run into it. The return is the Reverse under gravel filter. |'ve been trying to use a magdrive 24 but it seems to be just too much pump i can get the overflows to keep up with it. I even tried adding a T and valve and dumping it into the bottom of the sump but its just not working out. For now id rather go with a small pump and add a canister a little later as the grow out get bigger. Is a mag drive 12 enough or should i go w/a 18?

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
What style of overflow do you have?

If nothing else you can just put a ball valve after the pump and choke it down to reduce the flow. 1000gph should be plenty on your setup (assuming it's freshwater)

mwilson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2008
maryland
I have two of these going now. The top of the tank is 6'. So the magdrive 12 will work then? Will the 1" flow enough the keep up?

overflow.jpg

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
I think your best bet would be to continue using the pump that you have, but just restrict the output with a ball valve.

I'm not sure about this, but I think it should flow more if you lower the output on the DIY overflow. The difference in pressure from the top of the tank to the bottom of the overflow might make it flow more. Maybe Chompers can chime in.

mwilson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2008
maryland
Ok. I'm just not sure why i can't get it to hold its level. I can't get the overflows to keep up w/ the pump even with its flow cut down. I've got a T w/a valve then a pipe going back into the sump tank so i can control its flow but i just can't seem to get it to hold level. Even after i think i have it level after a few hrs the sump drains down causing the tank to over flow at the top a bit. I wonder if I just have too big a pump in a small resevoir? If i would valve down the pump instead of my T that would create a little less confusion and ease trying to figure it out.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
Sounds to me like they just can't keep up over time. Do you have a cap on the vent tube?

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
Try taking the cap off of the vent tube. It'll be louder but it should flow more. If that solves the problem you can put the cap back onto the vent but make sure there is a hole (I found 1/4" works best) so it can still "breathe".
I still think it might help to lower the output of the overflow. I might have to get one of my old ones out and do some tests haha.

mwilson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2008
maryland
if i was to lower the overflow how do i do keep the small 55gal sump from overflowing during a power failure?

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
mwilson;2064810; said:
if i was to lower the overflow how do i do keep the small 55gal sump from overflowing during a power failure?
Don't lower the overflow inside of the tank, lower the pipe where the water flows out of the overflow. Do you have a pic of your actual overflows?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store