DIY SUMP Questions

jbnebres

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
NE of Asian Arowana F
I currently have a 75 gallon overstocked bare bottom tank that needs more filtration asap.

The tank houses:
8" m Oscar
3" f JD
3x 1.75-2" GTs (m:f-2:1)
2x Jewel Pair
(flame away..)

I had 2 penguin 350s, but after one failed(older of the two), I now only have one penguin 350 and an extra penguin-150(from a 20g that used to house the jewels). I also have adiy sponge filter that surprising collects most of debris on the bottom of tank.

So this is the case, the Oscar, JD, and one m GT are being given away, and the jewels are to return to the 22g, along with its penguin 150 hob. What I am left with is a 75 grow tank for the remaining 2 GTs, and future 4x 1.5-2" red headed severums(heros rotkeil). But I will still need more than 350gph filtration. As of the moment I intend on making a sump, but I have a few questions:

1. How much more filtration(gph) will I need if I switch from bare bottom to substrate(pool filter sand)?

2. What brand pumps should I look for, if I'm interested in efficient power saving pump, if any even exist?

3. Other than filter pads and pot scrubbers, what other media should I invest in for the future?

4. I read somewhere that one diy pvc tubing overflow generates something near 600 gph, true/false?

Thank you for any constructive feedbacks :D

Fiaman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2008
South africa
1. 3-4 times the display tank volume. So your looking at 225-300gph. Maybe more with those fish.
2. Not sure. Maybe mag/quiet one
3. Thats all you'll need. Carbon if you want clearer water.
4. 1 1" pvc overflow will flow at that speed.ee

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store