Of overflows, FX5s, and mechanical filtration choices for large aquariums

TheOscarGuy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2006
Westborough, MA
OK, Now that I have your attention :) let me give you more details on the issue at hand: I am going to get a 300+ Gal. aquarium in the next 3-4 months. This aquarium is going to be in the living room, and therefore I would want it to be relatively quiet. I have so far decided on the biological filtration - its going to be multiple (don't know how many - since I haven't got the exact gallonage yet) 2260 eheim filters. Because of the location (i.e., living room), and personal choice (I like to have multiple filters), I am *not* going the W/D way - so this is definitely not an option for me.

With this background information in place, I have the following questions:

1. What are my mechanical filtration choices? I am right now thinking multiple AC 110s but I am concerned about the noise this is going to create. Since I will be using sand as a substrate, these filters *will* create additional noise, and I was wondering if there is any other substitute for these? This leads to my second question:

2. Those of you who are using it for a while now, do you think FX5s will do the job of (exclusively) doing the mechanical filteration? In order to polish my water, I use the walmart poly-fil (Nu-foam I think is the name of the brand) in my AC110, and have to clean it once a week. Can I use it with FX5, and have the same cleaning schedule (i.e., cleaning once a week), or will the filter clog up faster, being set up as a "mechanical-only" filter?

3. Additionally, how easy is it, would you guys (i.e., long-term users of FX5s)) consider the cleaning of FX5s? I would also be interested in any direct comparisons with AC110 if you've had the experience.

4. Finally, I have seen most large tanks/aquariums come with "overflows". I have *no experience* with W/D, so please bear with me on this question - can all the filter "intakes" and "spray bars" etc. go into these overflows? I am considering this option such that I don't have to see all the ugly tubings (people with eheims will know what I am talking about) of the filters once the tank is setup. Have any of you had experience with/are using overflow for hiding of tubings, or is this too non-sensical? Again, I do not have any experience with any overflows/W/Ds so all of this may sound stupid - but I wanted to get opinions anyway.

I would really love to hear what you guys think/are using. I am particular about using eheims as biological filters - so W/D is not an option for me. I am going to keep cichlids in this tank, and therefore expect to have a lot of mess.

Let me know what you guys think.

brianp

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2007
Fremont, CA
Just get two large capacity canister filters and be done with it. Omit the carbon and use only mechanical and biomedia.

Your options:
  • 2 x Fluval FX5
  • 2 x Eheim Pro 3 or 2262
  • 2 x Rena XP4 (probably ok)

dirtyblacksocks

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2008
Moreno Valley
FX5's are great biological filters but they clog easily and there is no bypass for the pump - in other words you have to clean them daily if you use polishing pads or the motor will burn out quickly.

I would reverse it, get one or two FX5's and fill them with nothing but biological media, and use the Eheim's for mechanical filtration.

oscarsftw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Houston, TX
dirtyblacksocks;2090021; said:
FX5's are great biological filters but they clog easily and there is no bypass for the pump - in other words you have to clean them daily if you use polishing pads or the motor will burn out quickly.

I would reverse it, get one or two FX5's and fill them with nothing but biological media, and use the Eheim's for mechanical filtration.
I have to disagree, that is over doing it if you clean out your Fluval FX5 daily. My Fluval FX5 has a polishing pad and I usually clean it out once every 1-2 weeks.

TheOscarGuy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2006
Westborough, MA
dirtyblacksocks;2090021; said:

Thanks for the input. Yes, I am quite concerned about FX5s getting clogged up easily with the finer filter media. What if I use the coarser mechanical media (sponge e.g.) that comes along with FX5 for the entire media basket - would that help with the problem of it clogging fast due to finer media?

This might have been a viable option - however 2260's, and the classics in general, are PITA to clean on a regular (I am talking weekly, as opposed to monthly) basis, and prime once cleaning is done. One of the reasons I was attracted towards FX5 was this - I gathered that they are overall easier to maintain (and therefore my thesis, that they might be better suited for mechanical-only filtration).

Do you think I will have the same problem if all I have is sponges in the media basket of FX5?

Once again, thanks for your reply.

TheOscarGuy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2006
Westborough, MA
oscarsftw;2090064; said:
I have to disagree, that is over doing it if you clean out your Fluval FX5 daily. My Fluval FX5 has a polishing pad and I usually clean it out once every 1-2 weeks.
How would you compare cleaning of FX5 with power filters (e..g, AC 110s)? Is it too difficult to clean, prime?

TwistedPenguin

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
Oklahoma
My 8' x 2' x 25" tank (250 gal) has an FX5 and 2 AquaClear 110's & a 1200 gph powerhead on it and it's super quiet. It's in the livingroom also. The FX5 and AquaClears are awesome at mechanical filtration & biological filtration both. All my FX5's are a peice of cake to clean and they prime themselves. I got them all on Ebay at the end of auctions for $200 each total including shipping. I clean them out every 2 wks/every 4th water change. I've got them on my 125 gal Oscar tanks also.
Not sure what you're stocking with, my 250 gal (which is probably the same size as yours but not as tall) only has an Oscar, a Chocolate Cichlid and 8 Silver Dollars. You may have to clean yours out more often if the tank is heavily stocked. I've got sand in the bottom of the 250 gal and it's spotless all the time-even with the Oscar.
Edit: You'd do fine to use just the sponges in the FX5 media baskets. The huge sponges would work great for mechanical filtration plus they're going to also serve as biological filtration. Maybe not as much as media stones would, but bio is bio.

TheOscarGuy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2006
Westborough, MA
Thanks a lot Ksane - just the kind of response I was looking for!

Ksane;2090142; said:
My 8' x 2' x 25" tank (250 gal) has an FX5 and 2 AquaClear 110's & a 1200 gph powerhead on it and it's super quiet. It's in the livingroom also.
Interesting - and this is with the sand as substrate, correct? My trimac pair keeps on digging and moving the substrate a lot, and quite often the sand goes into the AC causing it to start rattling. Its not that bad, but I would like to improve the situation if I can, for my next setup.

The FX5 and AquaClears are awesome at mechanical filtration & biological filtration both. All my FX5's are a peice of cake to clean and they prime themselves.
Do you have any finer filter media in your ACs? How would you compare them with cleaning of your FX5 - about same time/effort for both? I think for the issue of noise alone I am seriously considering FX5 and therefore I am interested in the "easy of cleaning" aspect of FX5s more than anything else.

Not sure what you're stocking with, my 250 gal (which is probably the same size as yours but not as tall) only has an Oscar, a Chocolate Cichlid and 8 Silver Dollars. You may have to clean yours out more often if the tank is heavily stocked. I've got sand in the bottom of the 250 gal and it's spotless all the time-even with the Oscar.
I would say my stocking level would definitely be higher than yours :)

Maybe I can throw in more than one FX5s (in addition to 2260s) that should reduce load on any one of them for the mechanical filtration.

TwistedPenguin

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
Oklahoma
TheOscarGuy;2090168; said:
Interesting - and this is with the sand as substrate, correct? My trimac pair keeps on digging and moving the substrate a lot, and quite often the sand goes into the AC causing it to start rattling. Its not that bad, but I would like to improve the situation if I can, for my next setup..
Yes, I've got the 3M ColorQuartz sand as substrate. It's real heavy compared to any other sand I've seen. I guess I'm lucky in that the Oscars I've got (in different tanks wtih FX5's) all do their digging up to the front away from the HOB's. I've never had a problem with sand and FX5's or AquaClear 110's although it'll clog up my Emperors left and right.

Do you have any finer filter media in your ACs? How would you compare them with cleaning of your FX5 - about same time/effort for both? I think for the issue of noise alone I am seriously considering FX5 and therefore I am interested in the "easy of cleaning" aspect of FX5s more than anything else..
In the AC110's I've got the big sponge block that comes with it along with the media stones that also comes with it. That huge sponge block works awesome for mechanical. I've never found a need to use floss. Although I know a lot of people do cut the sponge down by 1/2 or more and use floss. The same amount of good bacteria is going to grow on it, it'll just be more concentrated if the sponge is cut in 1/2.

I would say my stocking level would definitely be higher than yours :)
Maybe I can throw in more than one FX5s (in addition to 2260s) that should reduce load on any one of them for the mechanical filtration.
Yea, most people stock a little heavier but this particular tank is my Red Oscar's tank and he's my best buddy :) My other Oscar tanks aren't quite that lightly stocked although I do try to give them more room than most. You'd do great to add another FX5. In the future I hope to be able to add my baby Veiltail to the 250 gal tank if my Red will accept her. If he does I'm going to add another FX5 also. Especially given the price you can get them for on Ebay.

TheOscarGuy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2006
Westborough, MA
Yes, I've got the 3M ColorQuartz sand as substrate.
OK, maybe that makes the difference for you then - added to that the sand looks quite smooth and beautiful (colorquartz that is).

In the AC110's I've got the big sponge block that comes with it along with the media stones that also comes with it. That huge sponge block works awesome for mechanical. I've never found a need to use floss. Although I know a lot of people do cut the sponge down by 1/2 or more and use floss. The same amount of good bacteria is going to grow on it, it'll just be more concentrated if the sponge is cut in 1/2.
OK. The finer media is there mostly for polishing btw (I use it), as opposed to having any advantages in terms of larger surface area.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store