UV...I need another brand

rudy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2006
calgary
I use a rena XP3 with a Coralife turbo twist 18 watt on one of my tanks.

I have had to replace this and almost killed myself twice in the last 2 months. (not really but electricution sucks) Basically what I think happens is that when I do water changes the rena loses syphon for a bit and the Crystal gets hot from the lamp. When the water starts flowing again the crystal cracks and breaks.

The crappy thing about Coralife is they do not make a replacement crystal, you have to buy a new one.

Looking for a new brand of UV sterilizer. Thanks in advance.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Well, you could just fix the siphoning problem with your XP3. You could just unplug both of them while you are doing water changes.

Dragon Hunter

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2006
lalaland
Your supposed to turn off the UV if there is no water running through it. You can buy the most expensive uv and it will do the same thing. I know because I broke a $400.00 Aqua UV 57watt UV sterilizer by doing the exact same thing.

rudy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2006
calgary
Thanks for that....but I am not blaming the product as I have elluded to I completely know that this is my fault. I am a bit choked however that Coralife you cannot buy a replacement crystal for them. I am looking for another brand suggestion.

Will Hayward

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2008
Canada
www.alternativeaquariums.com
Ah, Fair enough.

Tetra has a new(ish) line of pond UV sterilizers. They look nice, and someone I sold one too says it's working well so far till now. The old AA UVs were bad, but now the revised version, relabeled as "The Green Killing Machine" has fixed the problems. Unfortunately that product must be inside the tank submersed fully. It's fairly clumsey too.

After those, I'm not familiar with the more expensive 'pro' models.

Dragon Hunter

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2006
lalaland
aqua UV has replaceable quartz glass

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
When i do water changes, i dont turn nothing off but the pump in my sump. Canisters and Uv's stay running as they are connected to the output of my canisters. So the water dont stop going threw the UV.
JMO

itzacraze

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2008
syracuse
you could do it the right way and have a seperate pump on your uv

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store