fluval 405

yemista

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2008
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
i found a brand new fluval 405 on craigslist for $130. im not sure if it fell off a truck or what, but it was a good deal. my question is, what are some custom media setups people use in these filters? does biological bacteria grow in the sponge or in those cylinder shaped stones that come with it? also, would it be ok to put in activated carbon that i buy in a jar instead of buying the fluval carbon that comes in the bags, or would i need to get some kind of mesh bag to use my own carbon

Knowdafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Philippines
You'll need to put the carbon in a mesh bag so the filters pump doesn't suck it up. Old pantyhose works if you have a source for them and can't find a mesh bag.

yemista

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2008
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
can you reuse the old pantyhose and do they deteriorate over time? i would not like the pantyhose to deteriorate so that pieces of carbon end up getting stuck in the filter. if this happens would they ruin it?

ANIMALHOUSE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2008
New York
I would like to know too, if anybody have a custom media installed?

Anybody?

andyjs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2008
Ohio
In my fluval, it came with 3 baskets of ceramic pieces and 3 of carbon. I still have the carbon in the box in case I need it in an emergency, but in the filter, I divided the ceramics into 2 baskets and packed the other four really full of filter floss for water polishing. (The other filtration on the tank is an AC 110 with standard AC setup minus carbon (sponge, ceramics) and a Penguin 330 full of ceramics for extra biofilter)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store