Scrubbies vs Bio Balls

Steve_Henderson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2008
New Jersey
Just a quick question on what most people prefer to use. I've read that the idea is they have the near same surface area, however, everyone rants about how cheap scrubbies are and I can't find them cheap! Cost me around $15 for 18 of the scrubbies at walmart, and it seems that most dollar stores around here don't carry them for some weird reason. I looked on drs. foster and smith and found a gallon of bio balls for 7$, or a 5 gallon bucket for 28$. In this case, wouldn't bio balls prove to be more efficient and cost effective? Just looking for opinions, thanks!

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
bio balls are inferior to scrubbies, both in cost and surface area. see here http://www.wernersponds.com/biofiltermedia.htm

have you checked Big Lots? i couldnt find any dollar stores around me that had them, but Big Lots did. $1.50 for 6, the Brawny brand

oscarsftw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Houston, TX
I buy mines from H.E.B $1.59 for 3

craigthor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
IA
I just ordered 400 of them for $62 from doitbest.com as long as you have a local store that allows shipments their is no shipping or tax.

CTU2fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Port Orange, FL
Anyone got a guesstimate as to how many you'd need for say a fx5 or for a smallish sump? Like a rough guess as to # of scrubbies per cu ft or something would be very helpful.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
i got 12 per tray in my FX5, 36 in total

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store