How much is too much rock?

TRENT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2007
OREGON
I just bought 400lbs of rock for my 150 gallon tank. I'm not going to use it all but I hope to use most of it. Foot print is 48x24x31. Should I worrie about the bottom breaking out? It's Sitting on a very sturdy stand. It will be evenly dispersed. Here is a picture of my 125 long it has around 200lb of rock. planning on same setup just taller. Thanks

DSC00321.JPG

cichlids _killer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2008
northside of da chi
nad you should be ok.....put a eggcrate on the bottom then put rock on top. beside the weight of the rock will offset the water ....on my 75gallon i got 150 pound of rock on it

TRENT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2007
OREGON
Yes true, but if your refering to my tank nitrates are good. I do a 60% change every week and vacuum every other. Run a fx5, two ac110's and 4 powerheads to keep water moving. Thanks for replys.

daleros;2102712; said:
Weight wise you are fine.
Too thick of a rock bed can cause nitrate problems though.

Horiyoshi III

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2006
41.769N -71.129W
www.facebook.com
Dude, you should adhere those tank killers together.They make this underwater putty, that people make their rock forms with.

Even if one falls and just only STARTS the fault/crack.

Overcautious judgment is key here.

cichlids _killer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2008
northside of da chi
Largemouthbadbass;2103056; said:
Dude, you should adhere those tank killers together.They make this underwater putty, that people make their rock forms with.

Even if one falls and just only STARTS the fault/crack.

Overcautious judgment is key here.
those are flat rock ...its will not fall. dont worried and with eggcrate on the bottom .its will be fine.

those rock on the pic above is not flat more chance to fall if there a war in my tank ...

Will Hayward

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2008
Canada
www.alternativeaquariums.com
If it helps, in a 220 gallon. 6x2 footprint. It's half inch glass (for the sides, I'm not sure the bottom is the same). In there is 420 pounds of large rock, and 230 ponds of sand. Also, two 15 pound peices of wood on slate. Plus the water. The glass bows down 1/4".

TRENT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2007
OREGON
cichlids _killer tanks look good. What exactly does the eggcrate do? Do I still put gravel over it? I was hoping to make a RFUGF system. This way I won't have to vacuum very often if at all. Thanks everyone for the feedback. I can't wait to set up the tank (next week).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store