Tiny discovery that is definately worth sharing.

FireMedic

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2007
Middle of somewhere, Oulu Wisconsin
Hey Sisters and Brothers, all is well here in Northern WI...thanks for asking!

So the point of this is to share with you all that I beleive I have discovered something quite useful.
If you search my previous threads you will find photos of my Ray set-up. In there you may have seen the plant component to my set-up involving cuttings from common house plants floating on styrofoam.

Well against my best judgement and the data here in MFK I haven't performed a water change for 28 straight calendar days. I tested my water parameters with my API kit and very sheepishly awaited the results:

My jaw dropped!

Ammonia, 0 ppm
Nitrite, 0 ppm
Nitrate, approximately 2.5 ppm
21 days without a water change and zero chemical filtration. There is no embellishment here.

On a whim I harvested some house plant cuttings and set up an impromto hydroponic end stage to my sump just to see what would happen. Yes my rays were at risk if things went badly but apparently, either beginnners or dumb luck, my idea of controlling toxic substances through plant filtration worked like a charm!

I measured 11 3/8 inches of root growth the first 28 days without water change. Did a water change then tonight I have 21 5/8 inches of total root growth plus said parameters after testing.

The plants are growing like gangbusters and the rays are fat and sassy.

Sorry for the length of this thread, kinda excited, kinda lubed by fermentation (Hamm's)

Give hydroponics a try especially if water changes are becoming rather expensive. Heck, grow Bonzias or Strawberries.
Respectfully,
FireMedic.

bigspizz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
Can you post some pics of all of this from the beginning?

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Great for keeping waste levels down, but bad for nutrient content in the long run.

Water Changes replace vital nutrients that are needed for Osmosis.. If a fishes osmosis system is compromised (ie: lacking nutrients) it will cause acute stress over a long period of time. The nutrients also feed the nitrifying bacteria (although you won't need as much bacteria because your plants will replace the need).. but your alkalinity will get low over time because nitrifying bacteria and plants will strip the water of the nutrients that make up your alkalinity.

Also, if you decide to ever pull your plants out, your bio-filter will be really weak and you will experience an ammonia spike with the next feeding. I killed a Jardini this way, but it didn't effect the rays. Was using a floating water lily with rays to do a very similar test to yours.

Great info - but just thought I would throw that out there.

PS. Boycott, over.

FireMedic

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2007
Middle of somewhere, Oulu Wisconsin
Good point Miles, forgot to mention anything in that realm.
Point of Order:
The plants were meant to prolong intervals between water changes...not replace them. I firmly believe in regular water changes.
Respectfully,
FireMedic.

bigspizz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
As long as the water still gets changed, all is well right? I am curious to see the lighting situation...I'll search your threads I guess...lol

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
FireMedic;2103199; said:
The plants were meant to prolong intervals between water changes...not replace them. I firmly believe in regular water changes.
Respectfully,
FireMedic.
I knew you weren't getting at that - but I figured it would be good to point that out, as to not mislead people.

I think this definitely would be a good idea especially in a sump/refugium setup where you have a very overstocked tank.. Would allow you to stuff more rays in the display area of the tank, while having the hydroponics control the immense bioload in a hidden area below the tank setup.

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
bigspizz;2103202; said:
As long as the water still gets changed, all is well right?
Should be - Depends a bit on the tap water chemistry. Some tap water's are already low in nutrient content, so more frequent water changes would be in order. Depends on Micro/Macro nutrients, because if their isn't a varied array of Micro/Macro nutrients in the water, it only takes a single micro nutrient to run low to start 'stressing' the osmosis system in fish. IMO it is better to have hard water because of the very high nutrient content, as 'prolonged' W/C methods like this would be more applicable.

I think Rays osmosis system is quite a bit different, and they will be less effected by lack of nutrients. I also believe that this is why Rays do not suffer (nor benefit much) from heavy doses of salt. They don't take in solids like other fish do, so a heavy salt dose will not put pressure on the osmosis system, but can be dosed in super high concentrations and have a profound effect on free-floating bacterias and parasites without stressing the ray.

PS. Great Post - Lots of good info ;)

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
I got several pothos (sp?) plants on top of my tank that have sent long roots into the water. The plants seem to grow well, but the nitrate hasn't dropped any.

mshuangchao

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2007
China - 珠海
A suitable amount of plants in your filtration system will definitely help! Thanx for sharing!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store